Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
deli question--roast beef vs. london broil
elena121959 posted:
About one month ago, I bought some London Broil at the local Wegman's supermarket. An hour after I ate a sandwich made w/ it; I started having abdominal cramps, & vomited once or twice. I had to return the meat; I thought it was bad. Well, the other day, I tried it again, this time to have diarrhea & cramps. What I would like to know, if anyone does, is what is the difference between london broil & roast beef. I can eat R. B. w/out any problem whatsoever. Thanks so much!

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
One of the possible differences is that roast beef is usually cooked fully whereas perhaps you are cooking your London Broil rare or medium rare? If there is bacteria on the raw meat and you aren't cooking it fully, you have the possibility of getting the bacteria into your system. If you cooked the meat fully you tend to kill the bacteria.

I am going to post a tip right now that has some information on food poisoning bacteria related to meat--so please check that out when you have a moment.

Thanks for the great question (but sorry you are having to deal with these reactions)

Helpful Tips

Tuesday's Kitchen Tips - Sharpen Your Knives For Less Tears
If you find yourself tearing up while cutting onions, try sharpening your knives. The oils released by a dull knife trying to get ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.