Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Favorite County Fair Foods--What's yours?
Elaine Magee, MPH, RD posted:
County fairs come once a year and when we go we have our favorite foods that we can only usually get at the fair.

I would not want to spoil that once a year fair fun...so let's talk about what your favorite county fair foods are and if there is a way to make a healthier version at home. This way you can bring the fair home during the year.

Unfortunately one of my favorite county fair foods is FUNNEL CAKES and there is really no way to make a yummy funnel cake without deep frying it. I can, however, make a light batter that is mostly whole wheat flour and then fry it in canola oil (a preferable oil because it is mostly monounsaturated fat and contains some plant omega-3s as well).

What's your favorite County Fair Food? And is there a way to make a healthier version at home?

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
Healthy option: Corn on the Cob

Unhealthy option: Deep fried oreos

I always eat these two things at the fair!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
Oh My! Deep Fried Oreos! I have to find these next time the fair comes to town! Sounds delightfully heart stopping!

My favorites are corn dogs and cotton candy. Any way to lighten these up? Or, have you seen any healthy alternatives to Fair Food?

Good thing the fair only comes once a year!
Elizabeth To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art. La Rochefoucauld

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Any Texans out there?

I just read an article about the Texas State Fair (Sept 30 - Oct 23). The Big Tex Choice Awards crowns the winner of the best fried fair fare.

Last years winners include - Texas Fried FRITOS Pie, Fried Beer, Deep Fried Frozen Margarita, Fried Club Salad, Fried S'mores Pop-Tart.

Even Fried Texas Caviar! Does anyone know, without looking, what Texas Caviar is?

Now, how do you become a judge? I want to apply!
Elizabeth To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art. La Rochefoucauld

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
65 of 82 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.