Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Bread advertising "no high fructose corn syrup"
Elaine Magee, MPH, RD posted:
Sara Lee has a new 100% Whole Wheat loaf of bread in their "Soft & Smooth" line that boasts "No High Fructose Corn Syrup."

I've got to admit, this new bread looks a little different for some reason but the smooth, dark brown exterior is actually more appetizing to me. All the teenagers that were over at my house for an overnight last weekend inhaled the loaf that I had with rave reviews (although they could have been falsely easy to please in their late night snack attack haze).

So basically instead of high fructose corn syrup, sugar is added with 5 grams of sugar total per 2 slice serving.

How does this compare to whole wheat bread made WITH high fructose corn syrup? The other breads have about the same calories, fiber and grams of sugar--just the source of sweetener has changed (Sugar or sweetener is generally added to bread to feed the yeast but also to add flavor and contribute to the browning effect on the bread.)

Wonder Smart Wheat is another brand of whole wheat that has taken out the high fructose corn syrup.

Has anyone else noticed these new NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP BREADS? What do you think about them?

erice_ma responded:
I have seen it. It has no affect on me personally. But I'm not surprised by it.

The HFCS paranoia bandwagon is large.

I've often seen people complain "HFCS is in everything." (Really, it isn't in my apple, my steak, my oatmeal, my carrots, ....?) And more specifically lament that "All breads are full of HFCS." Really? It never seemed to be in the breads I was buying and I made no specific effort to avoid it. And it couldn't be more than a couple of grams given the way bread is made.

For the small amount of sweetener in bread worrying about the source of the sweetener seemed irrational.

Regardless, the desire for (market for) "No HFCS Bread" was clear.

A question for you: do you think commercial bread vendors are stating sugar content based on composition calculations, or chemical analysis. That is, with bread, since part of the purpose of the sugar is to feed the yeast, if you put in 5 grams of sugar per 2 slices, the end product would have somewhat less than 5 grams per 2 slices.

I suspect it is based on composition calculations because I'm not sure the chemical assays would give them good "sugar" numbers in the presence of all the starch.

Have you ever seen an analysis of how much sugar the yeast consume? On the one hand, it seems like a lot given all the CO2 they emit. On the other hand, I'm thinking it can't be that high a percent because the sweetener wouldn't affect the bread quality if it were mostly used up by the yeast.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD replied to erice_ma's response:
Great question Eric!

I would guess it's a composition calculation versus a lab analysis and I would also guess that the amount that the yeast consume would be pretty small. They are adding sugar to bread for flavor and browning as well I suspect but it IS, I agree, overall relatively small (the contribution of sugar grams) compared to a higher sugar food or beverage.

Thanks for the great discussion!

fructosefree responded:
I have just discovered Nature's Own No high frictose corn syrup bread . so far so good. I was so excited,I have had trouble for years and really recently found that fructose is my problem. so I have been searching for products without fructose. I have also found that pillsbury has a oatmeal cookie in the refrigeratored area that are no high fructose syrup. It is great to see more awarness of the problem people have with fructose.We need others to follow.

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 40 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.