Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Chocolate or Vanilla?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Both have health benefits, both can be detrimental to health if you overindulge. I have to admit I am a dark chocolate addict!

Chocolate Good for the Heart
Health by Chocolate
100-Calorie Chocolate Treats

Vanilla: 8 Healthy Facts
Pure Vanilla Bean Paste is Pure Heaven

Which is your preference? When do you reach for a bite of your favorite? Psychologically, I wonder what your choice says about your personality.

Elizabeth
To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art. La Rochefoucauld

Take the Poll

Are you a chocolate or vanilla fan?
  • Chocolate
  • Vanilla
vote
View Poll Results

jis4judy responded:
I chose chocolate but I like vanilla too I use both
I use vanilla in my yogurt I buy the fat free plain and spuce it up with a little honey and vanilla and add in fresh berries
but I have a stash of dark 85% chocolate
I also like hot chocolate in fall and winter
So for me it is both
I make an awsome oatmeal cooked with a tad bit of honey in fat free milk and a good sized scoop of peanut butter these are old fashioned oats then serve with a few chocolate chips dark ones are best they swirl through the peanut butter oatmeal and taste wonderfull a couple of slices of banana is good on top ..
Hugs Judy:)

Tomato05 responded:
I'm a vanilla person. Despite having a terribly sweet tooth, I hardly ever reach for chocolate. Vanilla has a refreshing taste, very versatile too - it goes well with so many different types of dishes.

If I chew chocolate, it leaves brown clumps on and around my teeth. If I suck it, it leaves a brown film on my tongue and back of my teeth. I find it off-putting...

I prefer hard-boiled candy - which is probably even worse for my teeth, I know!

EricE_MA responded:
As a kid, when the rest of my family would eat the chocolate ice cream, I would eat the vanilla. Now, I know it depends on the quality of the chocolate. If it is really good quality chocolate, chocolate hands down. If it is poor quality chocolate (most is), I'll take the vanilla.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to EricE_MA's response:
I just had that Ah Ha moment! You are right, it is all about the quality of the chocolate.
Elizabeth
To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art. La Rochefoucauld

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I'm both! But that wasn't an option in the poll.

I am a chocolate fan for sure but I also really enjoy vanilla anything. And the two actually compliment each other so well!

Helpful Tips

My DIY smoothie
For my pre-menaposal body I enjoy smoothies with low-fat vanilla soy milk. I add fruit and low-fat yogurt -- nothing better. More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.