Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
possible food poisoning
elena121959 posted:
I need input from any of the experts. I suddenly became sick Wednesday afternoon/evening which included the following symptoms: nausea, vomitting, bloated/swollen abdominal area, & intermittent pain on left side & abdomen.
i immediately thought of food poisoning because Tuesday I went to TGIFriday's w/ a friend & had a chicken sandwich; also because I made myself a steak sandwich the next day (the steaks were half-cooked previously). Could either of these items have caused my symptoms? I went to the webmd symptom finder, but there were numerous possibilities.

fenton04 responded:
Wow I am not an expert but our family came down with the same symptons. I suspect it was the fruit salad I prepared because that was the only thing we all ate at dinner. Wierd huh????

elena121959 replied to fenton04's response:
Yes, it is weird; but I found out about one day later that was more like the flu-sweating, headaches,etc.
Hope your family is OK.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
Hi Elena! Sounds like you think it was actually the flu?

Just in case, here are some symptoms and timing associated with various food poisoning bugs:

SALMONELLA--can occur in inadequately cooked foods items and improperly refrigerated foods

Symptoms
abdominal pain or cramping or tenderness, chills, diarrhea, fever, nausea, vomiting

Possible food sources
(Prevent poisoning by proper hand washing especially when handling eggs and poultry and if you own a reptile, wear gloves when handling the animal or its feces because animals can pass Salmonella to humans.)
-meats
-eggs
-milk
-cheese
-seafood
-contaminated fruits and vegetables

LISTERIA MONOCYTOGENES—this bacterium can grow slowly at refrigerator temperatures.

Symptoms
Fever, chills, headache, stiff neck, backache, and sometimes upset stomach and diarrhea. May take up to 3 weeks to become ill.

Possible food sources
-contaminate[a name="_GoBack"> d hot dogs, luncheon meats, cold cuts, fermented or dry sausage, and other deli-style meat and poultry
-soft cheese and unpasteurized milk

TOXOPLASMA GONDII—This is the bacterium that you can accidentally take in when soil contaminated with cat feces gets on your fruits and vegetables.

Symptoms
Flu-like illness appears from 5 to 23 days after eating contaminated food and may last months.

Possible food sources
-fruits and vegetables with traces of soil contaminated with cat feces
-raw or undercooked meat

NOROVIRUSES—this is one of the top 5 bugs responsible for 90% of the cost burden from food poisonining.

Symptoms
Diarrhea is a more common symptom of the norovirus in adults while vomiting is more common in children. Other symptoms include nausea, stomach pain, fever, muscle aches and some headache. Symptoms appear within 1 to 2 days and may last 1 to 2 days

Possible food sources
-shellfish and fecally contaminated foods or water
-ready-to-eat food touched by infected food workers (salads, sandwiches, ice, cookies, fruit)

CAMPYLOBACTER--generally associated with uncooked poultry, meat or shellfish or not following safe meat-handling practices. Well-cooked meat may take care of potential contamination.

Symptoms
fever, headache, muscle pain followed by diarrhea (sometimes bloody), stomach pain and nausea that appears 2 to 5 days after eating and may last 7 days.

Possible food sources
-raw or undercooked meat, poultry, or shellfish
-raw milk
-contaminated water

STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS--
Symptoms
Nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, and diarrhea usually within 30 minutes to 6 hours after eating contaminated food. Symptoms last 1 to 3 days with the young and elderly having more severe symptoms.

Possible food sources
-contaminated milk and cheeses
-salty foods (ham)
-sliced meat
-food made by hand that require no cooking (puddings, sandwiches)
-food workers who carry the bacteria and contaminate food

CLOSTRIDIUM PERFRINGENS--Called the "cafeteria germ" because many outbreaks result from food left for long periods on steam tables or at room temperature.

Symptoms
intense stomach cramps and diarrhea begin 8 to 22 hours after eating and usually lasts 24 hours.

Possible food sources
-meats, meat products and gravy

E.COLI--is one of the bacteria normally present in human and animal intestines and therefore potentially human feces.

Symptoms of one strain of E. coli that causes illness:
Symptoms include severe diarrhea (sometimes bloody), stomach cramps and vomiting and usually no fever. Symptoms appear 1 to 8 days after food is eaten but usually appear about 3 days after swallowing the bacteria.

Possible foods sources
undercooked beef especially ground beef
unpasteurized milk or juice
contaminated raw fruits and vegetables and water

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 40 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.