Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Do you drink 5 glasses of water a day? What's your best tip
Elaine Magee, MPH, RD posted:
We all know that we need to drink many glasses of water (or beverage similar to water) every day, but you might not know that there is research suggesting it may decrease risk of heart disease for men and women by about 50% compared to people who drink two glasses or less.

This statistic comes from a study published in 2002 in the Journal of American Epidemiology. [Am J Epidemiol 2002, 155 (9): 827-833>

WHAT IS YOUR BEST TIP TO HELP YOU DRINK AT LEAST 5 GLASSES of water a day?

Here are a few of mine:

* Stop drinking soda and you'll be more likely to reach for water or tea

* Bring a bottle of water with you (use the refillable type whenever possible) wherever you go...in the car or subway, in meetings, etc.

* If you aren't crazy about the neutral taste of water, try flavoring water with lemon, lime or orange slices, cucumber or spices (like cinnamon) and herbs (like mint), or with green or white tea leaves or bags.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
Just thought of another tip!

Putting a glass of water next to your bed to serve as a reminder to drink water but also so if you wake up thirsty it's right there for you.

Tomato05 replied to Elaine Magee, MPH, RD's response:
My tip: exercise.

If you do a lot of cardio at a good level of intensity, you have to drink a lot of water before, during and after ; your body will compel you to do so...

DistantShores responded:
The best way to increase - for me - was to uptick my exercise routines. Water increase for me goes up the more I exercise, even walking. Secondly, to drink more, you need that water with you so cool water bottles work for me. I will buy a "cool shaped" bottle and use that.

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 40 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.