Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Daily Vitamin amounts
Sonar87 posted:
How far over the recommended daily values posted on food lables for vitamins is too much? I've noticed on days like today that between the cheerios I had and the one smoothie mix I've gotta around 140 of some things, and things the canned pumpkin used for pies have 300% vitamin A in their 'servings', as well as pieces of carrot cake I've gotten at the store going way over the 100% mark. At how much over does it start to get bad for you?

erice_ma responded:
The concept is called "upper limit." The concept of upper limit for vitamins and minerals is that if you take in that amount, it is a safety margin well below what has been shown to cause harm. Different vitamins have different upper limits, and a few have none.

There's a myth that "water soluble vitamins are safe in large amounts and fat soluble require caution." In reality they have to be looked at case-by-case. E.g., vitamin K (fat soluble) has no upper limit. Water soluble niacin has an upper limit just 2 times the RDA.

Other upper limits:
  • Vitamin D - 100 mcg,* about 10 times the "daily value" on food labels.
  • Vitamin E - 1000 mg, about 66 times DV
  • Vitamin B-6 - 100 mg, about 60 times DV
There are no known adverse affects for taking large doses of B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B5 (pantothenic acid), or B12.

For a complete list, see http://www.crnusa.org/about_recs.html

For your vitamin A in pumpkin, things are a little different. The vitamin A is in the form of beta carotene which does not yet have an upper limit.

So, you can see there's not a big concern among vitamins except for pre-formed vitamin A. Minerals generally have lower upper limits.

* The vitamin D upper limit is new as of November 2010 (per Institute of Medicine report) and many sources have not yet been updated, including the one cited above.

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 40 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.