Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

how much daily salt intake for a 5 yr old girl?
Carmenhilda posted:
My grandaughter is 5 and she have twice a day of Ramens soup,each package has 870 mgs. It is bad to let her eat those soup everyday twice a day sometimes? Her diet is short, corndogs,hotdogs,popcorn shrimp,chips and a lot of junkfood,but what really I'm worried is the soups for now.

erice_ma responded:
The recommended limit for children 4 - 8 years old is 1900 mg per day. So, the two Ramen servings are enough to reach that limit. You say you are most worried about the soups, but all of the foods you mentioned are high in sodium and low in nutrition. Five can be a difficult age for getting cooperation with good food habits, but it is also an important age for instilling good food habits.

Carmenhilda replied to erice_ma's response:
Thank you very much.Is hard for me make any chnages is not my daughter and sadly our childrens don't listen to us. But my dughter in law sometimes is hard headed she at least is trying to listen a little bit.And the worst is my grandaughter has pheneumonia and I think this is the cause they listen more. Anyways thank you for you fast response, have a bless day, Carmen

ami_nix responded:
Could it be an issue of money? I've known families that serve ramen because they are $.25 a piece. I know some people are sensitive about finances and I don't want to embarrass anyone but, with today's economy, hard working people are finding themselves struggling to pay their bills and still have enough to provide nutritious meals.. If this is the case, please let them know that there are options available to them. They can check out there local health dept. for a better idea of what is available in your area. I'll keep your precious Grandaughter in my thoughts, Pneumonia is so uncomfortable especially for someone so little. My mother recently had pneumonia and the Dr. at the hospital told her that her salt intake was making it much worse. Hope this helps!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello & Welcome Carmenhilda,

Hopefully bringing your concerns to WebMD will allow you to share healthy information with your granddaughter and her parents. You're a great grandparent for researching this.

As Eric shared, her diet does exceeds the daily recommended mg of salt. Her mom could try using only 1/2 the packet of seasoning.

For healthy eating information, food and recipes, take some time and look through these health centers -

Healthy Eating & Diet
Health & Cooking

Then, the next time you are with your granddaughter go through some of these fun slideshows and videos with her. My daughter loves watching Chef Lizzie.

Raising Fit Kids: Healthy Nutrition, Exercise & Weight
Fit Jr. Food, Move, Mood & Recharge!

Hope this is helpful and keep us posted!
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.