Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Omega 6s
sherm80 posted:
I read one thing about omega6s, then I read something else that disputes what I thought I knew previously, and that is, I thought eating soy products was beneficial. I just read that soybeans, along with some other oils, are NOT great for you. I use soy milk, soybutter, and frequently eat edamame, so now, is that bad for you??? I had always thought soy products were good for you???! All this "information" becomes very confusing and discouraging.

EricE_MA responded:
Soy products are in general a controversial class of foods. So, you will continue to find conflicting opinions. And it is a complex question. Good for you/bad for you compared to what? What else is in the diet? What kind of soy? Some people believe that while fermented soy products are good for you, modern soy products may not be. Unless you have a soy allergy/sensitivity, there's nothing about soy or soy food products which pose an immediate threat. The evidence for/against consuming soy and long term outcomes isn't strong one way or another. When you read pros and cons, consider carefully the quality of the source and the severity of the claim. Is it a "may have some small effect"? That suggests you should "watch this space," but not compelling enough to change your diet.

The general consensus is that a diet with a variety of foods, especially rich in fruits and vegetables, as close to fresh as reasonable is good. Whether that includes soy is up to you.

sherm80 replied to EricE_MA's response:
thank you!!

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
65 of 82 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.