Skip to content

Announcements

Hemoglobin and Pancreas
kidberry77 posted:
I'm a male 32 yo in good shape. The Red Cross tested my Hemoglobin and it was too low to donate blood. This is the second time I could not donate for this reason. They require a result of 12.5 or more, mine was 12.0. I eat a pound of green vegetables a day and today because I was donating added extra broccoli to my lunch and had a teaspoon of molasses to try and boost my iron. I get Pancreatitis (since 2002) and have experienced symptoms this month. Could my low Hemoglobin and Pancreatitis be related? How? Do you have another explanation for my low hemoglobin levels? Thanks

ElaineMageeRD responded:
Well, if your pancreas isn't working well because it's inflamed...then it's possible your body isn't digesting and absorbing nutrients as well as it should be which might be effecting your iron and other nutrients which might effect your hemoglobin.

It doesn't sound like you are getting animal sources of iron, is this correct? If so, the animal type of iron has the best absorption rates compared to plant sources of iron. You can increase the iron absorption on plants by including a high vitamin C rich food but in cases like broccoli and most green vegetables, they already are high in vitamin C. The other thing to keep in mind is that you can't boost your hemoglobin in your blood by what you eat that day. It's a longer process than that.

Definitely let your doctor know about your experience at the blood bank too. Perhaps this is something your doctor can help you follow up on.

Take care,

Elaine

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.