Skip to content

Announcements

Honey and Sugar
Diva_in_themaking posted:
Is Honey better to use than sugar? I am trying to live a better life and I've been using honey to sweentened my oatmeal.

EricE_MA responded:
They are both sugar and although there are trace amounts of other substances in honey, they are virtually nutritionally indistinguishable. So, while honey might be "better" in a one-to-one replacement, only modestly so. The more important tactic is to minimize your total added sugars.

RoseLynn02 responded:
I was always told to replace sugar with honey because although both contain sugars honey actually has a lot of antioxidants in it & is actually a healthy sweetener because of that. So if you have to have a sweetener go with honey & you can use it to replace sugar in cooking recipes as well.

EricE_MA replied to RoseLynn02's response:
While honey has "a lot" of antioxidants compared to table sugar (which has none), it isn't a lot in the grand scheme.

According to the National Honey Board, ORAC values (one of the main measures of antioxidant capacity) puts honey in the range of 3 - 17. Most fruit is in the thousands and foods that we think of as "high in antioxidants" (e.g., dark chocolate) are in the tens of thousands. I wouldn't consume honey for antioxidants. Though again, as a one-to-one replacement for sugar it is slightly better.

And those antioxidant values assume unadultered, not ultra filtered honeys. Which is apparently the exception, not the rule. See: http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/

Tomato05 responded:
Manuka honey (from New Zealand) is supposed to have proven antibacterial qualities and is actually used to help with wound healing. It is also supposed to help with infections, stomach ulcers, gum disease, skin conditions and more.

Not sure if the same applies to other honey. Manuka is apparently a special type of honey (bees feed on the manuka bush).

RoseLynn02 replied to Tomato05's response:
Very informative Tomato05. Also, local grown honey has been used as a natural remedy for allergies & even asthma. If you do any deep research on honey you can find it actually has a lot of uses and in comparison to sugar is the better option.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to RoseLynn02's response:
I was excited when I first heard local honey could be used to help seasonal allergies. After talking with my doctor and researching a little more I was disappointed to learn this has not been widely studied or proven.

Even so, I do not think it hurts to try. The last couple years, while enjoying local honey, I have had to still rely on my allergy meds and inhaler

In a quick search I found this - Myths & Facts About Seasonal Allergies .
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

RoseLynn02 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Not many formal studies have been done on it but it has been used as a home remedy for a long time & a lot of doctors & nurses will even support the concept that it does work. Obviously everyone is different & some people may need to use prescription meds still. My doctor actually recommended that I gave my daughter a teaspoon full of honey each day to help with her allergies & she has been off her meds since. So, in her case it worked for her. My mother-in-law, however, tried it & although it lessened the amount of meds she needed to take she still had to use her meds with it. But as with most home remedies, at least in my opinion, It is at least worth a shot. You don't know what may or may not work for you until you try it.

Helpful Tips

Olive Oil
When cooking with olive oil always add some minced garlic for more flavor. It also smells great. More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.