Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Christmas Eve dinner
nursingbug posted:
I posted this on the diet board, but I am going to try here too.
Every year I make dinner for Christmas Eve for about 10 people, I make a crock pot meal since we go to church right before dinner, then we can eat right away when we get back. Last year I made beef boulinon (beef stew, I am not sure how to spell it) and it was a healthy version. Everyone liked it but I wasn't impressed. I am looking for a healthy slow cooker meal or quick cook meal that is holiday worthy.
My uncle suggested he could bring ham, that sounds pretty good to me, but then I would have to do sides.
Any other ideas?
thanks!

RoseLynn02 responded:
Go to foodnetwork.com. They have healthy/quick recipes & healthy slow-cooker recipes. That way can find something that suits your taste. I find a lot of great recipes there that my whole family loves & most of the time they don't even realize it's healthy. Also, you could do an Italian meatball soup. You can use ground turkey instead of beef since it's leaner. The meatballs cook in the soup so no need to brown them unless you want to. Then it's just diced tomatoes, peas, & chicken or vegetable broth, & a bay leaf. It's usually served as a beginning course in to a large holiday feast ( but us Italians cook way more than necessary, especially during holidays), but you can use it as a meal. It's filling enough. That's just a simpler version, but you could do more with it if you wanted.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Nursingbug!

I love thinking about holiday dinners and dishes! In addition to a crock pot creation you could also think about a casserole, cooked before and quickly heated up when you get home. Add a salad, bread and dessert and you are done!

Start with our Health and Cooking Center and Holiday Recipes Directory .

For a festive crock pot dish how about Orange Cranberry Chicken or Apple-Spiced Pork Roast ? For a complete list of crock pot/slow cooker dishes see our Slow Cooker Recipe Directory.

Do any of these sound good? We can keep brainstorming for the rest of your meal - salads, desserts????
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

Jis4Judy responded:
Hi again I also have made lasagna for the holiday and it is the family favorate and so easy to prepar ahead of time..
for 10 people I am sure one large lasagna would do I usually have 5 people and there is leftovers .. to do it again..
Hugs Judy:)

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Jis4Judy's response:
Lasagna sounds great Judy! Do you add any veggies or do a traditional meat/sausage dish?

Meatball Soup also sounds yummy! My moms family made Klubs, (a German meatball, I think) for Christmas day. My sister and I make the Klubs now. We ask the kids to help.

Nursingbbug - Any decisions yet?
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 81 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.