Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you healthified any of your holiday recipes?
Carolyn Brown, MS, RD posted:
My family and I don't always do a traditional Christmas menu - In fact last year we spiced things up by throwing "Mex-Mas". We get to try lots of new recipes... And I can always make my minor recipe edits: more veggies here, a little less butter there...

When it comes to your holiday favorites, have you edited any recipes to make them a bit healthier? any success (or fail) stories? And do you serve anything that's totally non-traditional?

Rohvannyn responded:
I made my own cranberry sauce because I didn't want any high fructose corn syrup. I put two bags of cranberries into my juicer and added one apple, ran it through twice, then reintegrated the pulp with the juice, added water, pectin and a little sugar, then boiled it on the stove. Next time I'll use higher heat and a little more pectin because the sauce wasn't thick enough, but it was delicious! I wouldn't reccommend doing this with stevia or an artificial sweetener because the pectin needs at least some sugar to work right. You could also use gelatin of some type.

Jis4Judy responded:
for many years lasagna was my favorite thing to make for christmas because I could make it ahead of time and freeze it
then just bake it in the oven on chistmas day was the easiest and tastiest meal ever .. and I make painted sugar cookies at Christmas too ..
I do make my own pasta sauce and I added oodles of mushrooms instead of ground beef I do make meatballs but they are easier to measure a serving than meat sauce ,,

Hugs Judy:)

Jis4Judy replied to Rohvannyn's response:
I also make cranberry sauce but I cook the berries whole
useing only half the sugar useing the recipe on the bag of cranberrys after it is cooked takes about 10 minutes . I add in grated orange zest make a great whole berry sauce
Hugs Judy:)

larsstarscanary responded:
I try to use tofu, seasoned with all the spices, herbs, and vinegars, etc, used for the traditional dishes. As long as I expect the tofu to taste like tofu, (And not Chicken!) I'm not disappointed.

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 84 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.