Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Love Potatoe Chips.....what can I eat to substitute the crunch and salt..
Doitkim posted:
Chip loves out there.....what can I snack on to replace that nagging desire to crunch and snack.....any thoughts would be appreciated..

Many thanks in advance
FirstPrevious12NextLast

rohvannyn responded:
First, there are healthier forms of potato chips out there like organic potato chips. There are sweet potato chips. There are even vegetable chips. I really like those!

Other cheaper options that offer nice amounts of crunch: air popped popcorn with a little parmasan cheese or nutritional yeast or even pepper flakes. Crunchy apple slices with small amounts of almond butter or cashew butter or peanut butter on them. Carrot sticks of course. Radishes and other crunchy vegetables.

One final idea is to make your own potato chips. Use a sharp knife or a food processor to slice pototoes or sweet potoatoes very thin. Drizzle or spray just a little olive oil and a little salt on them and bake them in the oven till they get crispy.

Remember: Even if a food is still fattening, if you increase the nutrition content it is still better for you. If you start to replace the unhealthy fats with healthier fats, you will at least be putting less junk into your body.

Doitkim replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thanks so very much, you have some great ideas - love the one that say's make your own. I will try that one for sure....

GLHinton responded:
We eat edamame to satisfy that urge for something crunchy and salty. You can even buy small boxes in the frozen veggies section of the grocery store. Pop one of those little boxes in the microwave for 3 minutes, pull it out and enjoy something nutritious and delicious.

An_242507 responded:
I, too, love the veggie chips, but they can be caloric as well as salty (never mind expensive). I make "party mix" for a crunchy snack - you can alter the traditional recipe by using less butter and little to no seasoned salt to make it healthier. The Worcestershire sauce is salty, too, but you can get a reduced sodium version, or just use less. I tend to leave off the seasoned salt and add extra Worcestershire. Use lightly or non-salted pretzels and unsalted or lightly-salted nuts. Just by cutting down on all the salt really helps, as the rest of the ingredients are actually pretty healthy - Chex cereal, pretzels, and nuts.

tangerine83 responded:
Special K Cracker Chips - not to sound like an advertisement, but they are DELICIOUS and only 110 calories for like 30 chips. There's three flavors I think (I've tried Sea Salt and Sour Cream and Onion) and I loved them both.

The only drawback is they're kind of expensive, but I've found coupons online!

Motherof5sons replied to tangerine83's response:
I do agree regarding the special k chips. They do satisfy they crunch of chips, not super great, but yet as I'm crunching, eyes closed, I can pretend they are Doritos!!!!

PamiejuneSLP replied to Motherof5sons's response:
LOL - I don't believe that!!! Doritos have no equal, I'm afraid...especially when eating guacamole!

jis4judy responded:
I saw on Dr OZ that you can replace the crunch of potato chips with a snack of pretzels the small ones not the big ones
Hugs Judy:)

jean4u responded:
KALE chips!

Line cookie sheet w/foil, spray w/no-cal oil, fill pan w/kale (break about 3 inch pieces). Spray w/nocal spray. Bake at 375 degreees about 10 mins. Keep watch for start of browning and they are done. Season w/garlic powder, red pepper flakes, any seasonong.

They are super crunchy!

Barb

Doitkim replied to GLHinton's response:
Great idea I will try them...

Doitkim replied to An_242507's response:
Thanks sounds good...

Doitkim replied to tangerine83's response:
Ok....coupons I also love coupons..thanks.

Doitkim replied to jis4judy's response:
Great idea..thanks. Also, watch Dr. Oz he is great!!!

Meeko6794 responded:
You could also try popped chips. They come in all the same flavours as regular chips but are healthier

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 81 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.