Skip to content

Announcements

Honey and Weight loss
kidsurgeon posted:
Hi. I am trying to lose weight and i would like to know if honey can make me fat. I don't eat eat table sugar at all but i like sweets so i eat honey instead. I don't eat much, just a teaspoon after lunch and dinner to satisfy that craving for something sweet and i really like eating honey. Is honey going to wreck my diet or is it good for me? I eat 2 teaspoons a day. Should i eat more?

GarnisLitton responded:
No.Honey can't make you fat. If you are trying to lose weight then you can take honey with lemon water in the early morning.It will help you lot to lose weight.

kidsurgeon replied to GarnisLitton's response:
hmm ok. so how much lemon and how much honey? in how much water?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi kidsurgeon,

Having a sweet tooth is tough when trying to lose weight!
One teaspoon of honey is 22 calories, so I don't see how only two teaspoons a day can make you fat or gain weight.

In a quick search I could not find any resources that list honey as a way to lose weight though.

This article, Medicinal Uses for Honey , states "Even if honey is natural, it is no better than ordinary white or brown sugar for dieters or people with diabetes, says dietitian Toby Smithson, RD, CDE, ...... A tablespoon of honey, in fact, has more carbohydrates and calories than granulated white or brown sugar."

I thought you might enjoy checking out these Healthy Desert Recipes.
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

Ginakandy replied to kidsurgeon's response:
One glass (250ml) warm water in which you can squeeze in half a lemon or a full lemon based on your liking for sourness. Add one tablespoon of honey, mix well and drink on an empty stomach in the morning. Drinking plenty of water too eases your hunger pangs and keeps appetite down.

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 87 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.