Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Foods that Help Fight Depression
Brynna_Sower posted:
Hi
I'm 16 and I'm fighting depression, I have been for 6 months. I'm starting college courses this year so I need some help! One thing I want to know is if there are any foods that help counter depression?

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi , Brynna. Big moves being so young and taking college courses. Good for you! Don't stress the small stuff though, you know?
Here's one food I do know for beating depression, Chocolate. The darker chocolates are better and have more of the depression fighters than milk chocolate, so go for at least semi sweet. You don't have to eat alot either. Here's what I do (since I'm trying to lose 100 lbs.) I buy the Bakers semi sweet chocolate in the baking aisle. 1/2 of one of those prewrapped squares is only 70 calories. If you take your time and lick it like a sucker instead of just devouring it, it kicks the craving and gives you a nice little chocolate buzz
I know that caffeine is a no no when it comes to fighting depression because of the instant rush you get from it, when it dissapates it leaves you feeling down.
Also watch your carb intake, breads, pastas , rice. These break down into simple sugars which feed energy fast, but again, will make you crash harder when they burn up.

totallywiggedout responded:
Also, the word I couldn't remember for the feel good stuff your brain releases is seratonin. When you eat complex carbs, whole grain rice, whole grain bread , dk chocolate, it boosts seratonin in your brain and you feel better. These foods and green tea and such also relax your blood vessels, making blood flow easier, which in effect relaxes you cause your body doesn't have to work so hard.
Also, remember to get at least 1 hr of true exercise, like walking or riding a bike (doesn't have to be fast, as a nice leisurely ride or walk can do wonders.) as it's been proven that exercise releases endorphins, which also make you feel better, less depressed.

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
sorry to be confusing, when I said watch the carbs first , I meant white bread, white rice and reg white flour pastas. If you get the whole grain stuff , it breaks down slower, and releases the sugars more evenly through time release than the bulk rush from white flour products.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Brynna and Welcome!

In addition to Totally's great response (good info about the semi-sweet chocolate) I wanted to pass along these resources -

I really admire you for recognizing your symptoms and being proactive in looking for support and help! Be sure to also reach out to your school counselors and doctor to help you battle depression and have a successful and most importantly FUN semester!

Let us know if this is helpful ~
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

Brynna_Sower replied to totallywiggedout's response:
TotallyWiggedOut:
Thank you so much I will deffinitely be trying those tips as soon as possible!

totallywiggedout replied to Brynna_Sower's response:
Sweety, I've fought depression all my life on and off, and I know that taking time to "just be" with friends and family is important to help fend it off. Now , at your age, I want to stress that I mean friends with a capital F. Those are the ones, male or female that you don't stress about what you look like, act like or are competitive with in any way shape or form. The one or two people that you can be completely YOU with. Grab em up and go do some community service together for an afternoon. A soup kitchen, picking up the city park, walking dogs at the local animal shelter, any of these will give you a sense of doing the right thing, for others, and believe me, it can create an almost Zen-like feeling of well being inside of you.
Or pick out a really outrageously delicious dessert recipe together and make it with them. Baking is a really good stress reliever for me, maybe for you too.
I know these aren't food related tips, but depression isn't about any one thing, it takes a combination of things to get you depressed and it'll take a combination of activities to destress.
Above all, be a KID forever if possible. Buy bubbles and blow them for little kids at the park, slide down the slides and use the swingset with abandon. Laugh often and loud. Life is too short to take it too seriously.

Carolyn Brown, MS, RD responded:
Hi Brynna!

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with depression, but wonderful you are reaching out for help! There is a lot you can do related to diet --

Definitely check out the links that Elizabeth posted. In addition to eating lots of fruits and vegetables and limiting junk foods, I usually recommend both an omega 3 and Vitamin D supplement. Please talk to your doctor before starting, but both have major anti-depressive research behind them.

Also, not our forte in the foodie community, but can't recommend going to therapy enough!

Best,
Carolyn

Brynna_Sower replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you so much My best friend, Jenna, is like my sister and I think she might just be the person I do that with. I hope you know how amazingly helpful your advice has been for me. I just hope someone with our same problem will find this conversation and use these tips Thanks so much and God bless you!

totallywiggedout replied to Brynna_Sower's response:
Depression is scary, but it's a process. Just something to get through. You know? Some days are just gonna be crappy. Period. But, you know what? Other days are just beautiful. Those are the days I wish more of for you. The days when you look up into the sky and think, I am seriously HAPPY.
Bless you too, babe. God loves ya!

1957_chevrolet replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Good Morning! Brynna_Sower,
I've realized due to ~ 40 years personal exprience with
Bipolar 1 Disorder that whether a person is dealing with mania, depression, or even the highly appreciated status quo of level-headiness, we by adapting our daily routines for which any person is apt to benefit likewise is especially true for us. Another blessing of which you are exhibiting and putting to use is as a whole mentally afficted individuals usually have higher I.Q. scores and if we can but channel them in a positive way much good hopefully will come. A word of advice that I've found very helpful is one word: i.e. moderation. I could give many Biblical references as for as mental hygiene is specifically concerned but I'll refrain from that until you request.
Have a great day and may God bless you in a special way!

sweetypie295 responded:
I have read some books that have recipes that say they help with depression if your interested I can email some of the pages to you (pdf.) them to you. Let me know.

Helpful Tips

Olive Oil
When cooking with olive oil always add some minced garlic for more flavor. It also smells great. More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.