Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Tuesday's Kitchen Tips - Spices & Herbs: Buy Small, Throw Away Sooner
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
What does your spice cabinet look like? Big, old jars or bottles of every spice imaginable?

Save money and increase flavors by purchasing spices and herbs in small quanties and tossing out anything older than 2 years. Also write the date purchased on your bottle. Most do not list expiration dates.

Over time spices and herbs lose their flavor so instead of buying the larger bottle of sage or turmeric, buy small or in bulk.

I challenge you to look in your cabinets and let us know your oldest spice or herb. Anyone have the really old metal tins?
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

rohvannyn responded:
Oldest spice or herb would probably have to be the fajita seasoning mix that I bought prior to moving, about two and a half years ago. Of late, I've been reusing containers and getting herbs/spices in the bulk. Before that, my oldest would have to be a box of Bengal Spice Tea (I use it as an herb as well as as a drink) that was, I believe, about ten years old. It still had flavor when I used it up.

Dallasemmitt responded:
I love to use spices, but unfortunately, I do not use them enough. I hope you are sitting down for this one.....my oldest spices have price tags on the caps or sides of the bottles. How long has it been since grocery stores have been using bar codes to scan prices of items??? I guess it is time to take a look (definitely NOT smell) of what is in the spice cupboard. Are we not always told that "Age is just a number!)? Yes, we are told that, but it is about peoples ages, especially on their birthdays. Thanks for making me think Elizabeth. Signed: Dallasemmitt.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Dallasemmitt's response:
Dallasemmitt - I think you and Rohvannya would win the oldest spice award! Price tags??? Too funny!

How many did you end up throwing out? Did you replace any yet?
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 38 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.