Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

hi im new
bekkaboo77 posted:
well today i went to the doctors and they want me to get gastric bypass..but i would like to learn how to eat healthier..but dont know how to go about finding healthy recipes..if anyone can help me that would be great

totallywiggedout responded:
You may be familiar with Paula Deen, from the food network? Her sons have a webpage all their own it's
www.thedeenbros.com they take Paula's recipes and cut a bunch of fat and calories from them. I've taste tested a few, like the bacon wrapped chicken breasts with chili cheese dip, Yummmm! I also really like the almond crusted chicken breast fingers.
I'll tell you though, I'm on the 100 blog, since I wanted to lose that much, I've been reading labels on everything I buy. I won't go vegan, couldn't survive that way. I won't go the low carb diet cause I know carbs are essential for energy. I have also almost completely cut out margarine, veg. oil, and crisco. I'm finding that the whole natural "real" foods make me feel better. So small amounts of real butter, olive oil, grapeseed oil or coconut oil for cooking , and real honest to goodness lard for pan frying(in small amounts) the only not real thing I absolutely rely on is butter flavor PAM.
I've lost 22 lbs since the 3rd of Jan and I'm really just reading the labels, taking in very low sodium and staying between 950-1100 cal a day.
My new loves are Silk purealmond orig flavor milk, since it gives me alot of calcium with less calories than even skim milk, Hummus spread on "heart healthy" soft pitas (60 cal per whole pita), and the Mulagatawny Soup 1 recipe from www.allrecipes.com . If you go to allrecipes, my blog name is MichMom, so you can read how I made the soup to my likeing.

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
If you want to know ahead of time or want to try the post stomach reduction diet just for giggles.... www.all-about-lapband.com That will give you more incentive to try to lose weight without surgery, lol .
Really, if you cook at all and know some stuff about or are willing to research about good fats vs bad fats ; Reg. Carbohydrates vs Complex carbs (like reg white rice, bread or pastas vs whole grain rice, breads and pasta) then just about any recipe out there can be made lighter, with less fat, sodium and calories. All you have to do is make the right adjustments to ingredients. Like applesauce for oil in cake mixes. Every little change helps and will add up to calorie and fat decreases.

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I've made some pretty significant changes by just getting more nutrition in my diet and less empty calories. Trying to eat little to no processed food helped me, as well as cutting out nearly all white sugar, all white carbs such as processed flours, pastas, etc, eating more fruit, vegetables, and lean protein. It shouldn't be hard to learn to cook in a healthier way. You may find that once you try eating "real" food, you will lose some of your taste for the junk. The idea is to provide your body with the fuel and building materials it needs so it can maintain itself, and after a while you will start wanting that instead of empty calories. Good luck in your quest, it's quite correct that you will need to make some lifestyle changes even if you have the surgery, so you don't gain it all back again.

airius responded:
Losing weight without surgery takes alot of hard work and dedication. It a two part process: diet and exercise. It's best to start slow and work your way down with your eating and work your way up with exercising. But if you think that you have the will power to start fresh "cold turkey", then I found that The Fat Smash Diet worked for me. It's by Dr. Ian Smith. The first 9 days is a detox period that cleanses your body from all the bad stuff that we've put into it. Sort of like a "reset". If you can survive that, then it's pretty easy thereafter. It also suggests that you do some form of exercise also. I lost 13 pounds in the first 9 days following it. I wish you luck in your quest!

jis4judy responded:
Hi Bekkaboo
I think recipes aren;t really needed to get a healthy eating plan .
breakfast can be bran flakes 1 serving with a few strawberries
and fat free milk ... an orange too
learn to drink more water black coffeee tea with lemon

my dinner lunch is my main meal
usually a small piece of chicken or beef or pork chop
a baked small sweet potato
a green vegie steamed
a side salad the change I made here is to dilute wishbone Robusto dressing with wine vinager..

my evening meal is usually a half a sandwich on whole grain or pumpernickel bread with left over small amount of chicken

I also have a snack of a small apple with 1 tablspoon peanut butter on this I switched to natural peanut butter

also I have a dessert of fay free greek yogurt 1/3 C with 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries 1/2 Tablespoon honey

and a snack of 1 1/2 ounce of pistachios in shell

It is helful to have a food scale
the above is a typical day for me
Hugs Judy:)

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi bekkaboo77 and Welcome!

Congratulations on your commitment to eating healthier!

We have a great Food & Recipe Center for you to check out. It has a wide variety of dishes and methods of cooking. Also, be sure to sign up for the newsletter "WebMD Daily Recipe". I love getting this in my inbox, it gives me ideas for planning a week of healthy, tasty meals.

Our Diet Community and Diet Club Communities are a great way to connect with others for advice and support.

What are your favorite foods? Let us know and we make suggestions to lighten them up.
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

mollyhorn responded:
This site has been indispensable for nutrition education and learning to cook healthfully. http://whfoods.org/

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 81 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.