Skip to content

Announcements

Need to copletely change our meal plans to low sodium, 16 yo son has high blood pressure
healthyjob posted:
Any and all suggestions/recipes would be greatly appreciated. At our 16 year old son annual physical we were made aware that he has high blood pressure. As he is not overweight and very physically active, we are certain it is diet related. Learning to cook cook low sodium/healthier meals is now my mission to help our entire family eat healthier. It's going to be a huge challenge as my hubby & boys are pretty picky eaters and don't care much for many fruits/veggies. Thanks you all in advance for any advice/suggetions or recipes you have to share!

totallywiggedout responded:
Any one of your recipes, if completely homemade, can be adjusted for low sodium by using Mrs Dash seasonings which have no sodium, or by substituting an item called NO SALT found near reg salt in the seasonings aisle.
Actually, when cooking, I never add salt, if baking, when it calls for unsalted butter but then calls for salt to be added, I use lightly salted butter and dont add any more salt to recipe.
Also, if using canned veggies, always buy the low salt or no salt added ones or drain and rinse in stainer, then add some water before cooking.
Watch using processed meats, hotdogs, pepperoni,baloney, HAM and bacon, all terribly high in sodium. Most sodas like mt dew, pepsi whatever have alot of salt too, be careful , read the labels, DRINK WATER or water with the little flavor packets.
Since he's a kid, I'm sure he eats mickeyDs alot. get him to switch to the chicken wraps instead of a burger if you can. If he's a pizza nut, go veggie with simple hamburger or chicken. Sorry to say, Taco Bell is about completely a no no, lol, All these "big box" fast food joints have their nutrient values online though, just google them and you can scope them out before you go out to eat.
I'm 47, a woman, wife, mother and am working on losing about 100 lbs. I love to cook and (unfortuantely, eat, lol). But I also just found out I have High blood pressure so I'm on track and losing and cutting calories and sodium. I find that I have no trouble keeping inside of the sodium allowances for my weight on the food calculater here on webmd.

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
also wanted to add, get away from margarine use real butter, margarine is made of some really nasty stuff and lots of sodium to make it taste good, use REAL butter, Real lard(yep you read that right) instead of crisco, or PAM butter flavor spray whenever possible switch to REAL WHOLE foods instead of the over processed stuff.
And cereal for the morning???? lol I did some serious label reading, comparing stuff like kashi and everything else, the best tasting cereal with the best nutrients all the way down the line with low sodium is mini wheats, the brown sugar ones are still the best for the serving size you are allowed.

Empyrean13 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Like TotallyWiggedOut - start using spices. There is more out there than pork fat, ham hocks, smoked foods and salt. Start learning about how different herbs and spices can make your foods better for you and reduce the amount of sodium.

For grits, polenta and rice - use low sodium chicken broth and add things like low fat cheeses, thyme, oregano, basil, herbs de provence, etc.

Rather than using butter, use olive oil, canola oil or other vegetable oils. The animal fats in butter and lard aren't good for you. Pam is a great option, especially in sauteing or roasting veggies.

Roasting veggies brings out some amazing flavors. Sprinkle them with dried basil and oregano and you've got some good stuff. Make your own dressings (Lemon Caper is my favorite - lemon juice, caper juice, olive oil and capers. Use a little sugar to cut down on the acid. Blend in a blender).

Get away from dressings and start using oil and vinegar. Get a mister for your oil and you'll cut down on the amount of fat and calories on your salads.

Grill! There are some great low fat/low sodium/fat free dressings and marinades out there that can boost flavors and reduce salt.

I've been on a low sodium diet for years since my mom had to go that direction. What really helped was the ability and knowledge to dig into the spice cabinet to make foods and flavors pop without the added sodium. I don't miss the salt at all and as a matter of fact, what too much is for me is just barely for some. So, you can enjoy a great life of low sodium.

Explore! Check out the Vegetarian Polenta recipe I just posted, too. Oh, and instead of using table salt, start using Kosher and Sea Salt instead. You'll use a lot less and get a better flavor.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Great comments! Keep them coming!
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

parishioner responded:
Try http://www.LowSodiumCooking.com . Dick Logue, who offers it to the public, has excellent recipes. This means returning to cooking from scratch, which is healthier and cheaper.

Bugzy2013 replied to Empyrean13's response:
What is the right "healthy" amount of sodium in whole wheat bread? is 180mg bad?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Bugzy2013's response:
Hi Bugzy2013 -

This article talks about sodium and the best choices in supermarket chains.

The Best Bread: Tips for Buying Bread

Looks like 180mg is pretty low. Let us know what you think after reading the article.
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

Bugzy2013 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Okay.. so i believe I have a good bread then. I have tried to cut down on eating the sodium from bread because I became concerned when the new report came out saying that "Most Americans get their sodium from bread products". I personally do not eat bread much, but now, everytime I eat a sandwich, I use one slice and cut it in half... Is that really neccesary?

totallywiggedout replied to Bugzy2013's response:
If you like sandwiches, and want a whole one, I'd look into low calorie/low fat/low sod Pita breads. Mine is a flax and wheat soft pita that only has 60 calories per whole pita, which is actually 2 pital pockets' worth of sandwiches. There are lots of options out there, just become accostomed to spending some time at the supermarket reading labels before you purchase, to make better informed choices.

Bugzy2013 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
ok.. Thanks for the info. I have tried to find a healthy pita bread, especially one that is low sodium, low sugar, low EVERYTHING! but it has been a challenge. And, I have always avoided tortillas, even if it is whole wheat, because there is just too many "unknown" ingredients, which bothers me alot. What do you think about those "Brown" colored "whole wheat" tortillas?

totallywiggedout replied to Bugzy2013's response:
lol , i make my own. that way, i dont have to worry about what is in them.
the recipe i use is at www.allrecipes.com its "tortillas 1" and i add a bit of onion powder to my dry ingreds before adding the boiling water
these are simple and can be made with 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat flour to make them more nutritious

Bugzy2013 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I think making them is too long

Helpful Tips

Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Ingredients 2 pounds Beef Stew meat 2 Sweet Potatoes 4 Carrots (peeled and chopped) 2 Celery Stalks (chopped) 1 Spanish Onion (chopped) 2 ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.