Skip to content

Announcements

New!
RanchMommy1533 posted:
Hi, i'm Emily I 'Graduated' from the Third trimester pregnancy group about 6 months ago and it's now to 'graduate' from baby weight! I home cook everything for my family, very rarely do boxed goods grace my shelves! I've been doing a Jillian Michaels workout video and trying to eat less and healthier but this stuff won't come off! If anyone has some eating tips that would be greatly appreciated! I have a very finnicky gall bladder so I already don't ever eat anything deep fried, sugary, and I am a little over 1 year sober from soda! Thank you all for all your help!

totallywiggedout responded:
Since avoiding high fats is almost a medical necessity for you, I'd suggest chicken breasts cut into fingers and coated with slightly crushed rice crispies,and any number of additives, like coconut flakes and curry, or chili powder,garlic and onion powder, or dipped first in mustard and/or ranch dressing then coated for different takes on the same main ingredient.
Then there's Tilapia or cat fish fillets or fingers, many many low fat easy fast ways to fix these, because they are mild flavored. I like to set mine on aluminum foil, drizzle with dill pickle juice or lemon then use lemon pepper, wrap the foil around to make pockets and bake at 400 for 20-30 min.
I also have found that using Laughing Cow, light swiss wedges spread on this fish, then topped with seasoned crushed saltines, baked on foil sprayed with PAM is really really good and takes just 20 min.
If you eat pork, I don't do regular chops anymore, too much fat striation throughout, so I buy a whole loin and cut my own 1" chops, then the fat is mostly on the outside edge and is therefore trimmable after cooking.

RanchMommy1533 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you! Believe it or not i've never had a pork loin before and I used to raise pigs for 4-H for years!! Those are some great ideas. I would have a gall bladder flare up maybe once a month but when I got pregnant with my second baby I was on the couch in insane amounts of pain for two weeks straight. It has since mellowed back out but I still watch what I eat. My biggest dilema is that I have to use the half of beef we are given by the ranch. It's lean, grass fed but it does flare up my stomach more than pork or chicken ever has. I will definately have to try the fish with the cheese and saltines, that sounds amazing! Thank you again so much!

totallywiggedout replied to RanchMommy1533's response:
Beef?? hmmm.
IMO, beef is always best on the grill, so coming into spring and summer, this is the time to eat it up. LOL
If cooking beef , like a roast or something that is slow cooked. Try to keep it up above the "fatty juices" that collect when cooking. Try a wire rack in the pan with a lid or foil. That way, the juices can continue to moisten the meat as it condenses on the lid then rains back down onto the meat. For this purpose, I strongly suggest a cheap all purpose red wine in the original drip water along with the spices. The wine mixes well with the flavorings of beef and will make a really good gravy later if you want.
Otherwise, you can use lesser grade steak cuts or roast cuts, sliced thinly, for fajitas, or warm steak salads served with homemade croutons. Or , make your roast, then shred it and mix with BBQ sauce for pulled beef bbq.
Or try, Thinly sliced beef with cream of mushroom soup,sour cream and paprika, served over wide egg noodles, is a really nice beef stroghanoff recipe I use.
OH! and one more, if you can stand it. Try this, It sounds sort of weird but is really really good and kids seem to love it too.
This is actually called Saucy Skillet Supper, Take thinly sliced raw roast or steak, brown with a little oil along with a thinly sliced onion. Add 1 to 2 cans of whole new potatoes, Liquid from these reserved and mixed with 1 of those small cheapy bottles of ketchup, add 1/8 cup cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Put the ketchup sauce over the meat and potatoes, heat through, add 1 bag of frozen green beans, cover and Heat completely through and serve.
With your gall bladder problems, I definitely would stay away from slow simmered pork or beef dishes like chili or anything in a slow cooker because the meat just sits and stews in its own fats. Not good for a person in you situation.
Hope you like these. Enjoy!

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Beef stew can be fairly low in fat if you let it cool and then skim the fat off the top afterwards. You can skim the fat while it's still hot but it's harder to get all of it.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Emily -

Thinking about the ranch beef you have, here are a couple of recipes to try -

French Beef Stew
Oven BBQ Brisket

Remember to pay close attention to portion size and keep up the good work by continuing to work out!
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.