Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

How to cook with my Convection Toaster Oven?? Healthy ideas Please!
Bugzy2013 posted:
I have a Convection Toaster Oven, which I like since it is a little bigger than my old one. But, How Do I Use it to cook? It says it comes with a baking pan, but it is black and deep, more like a dripping pan. Do i just put chicken in it???! DO I BAKE IT?? IM LOST! what about the 2 wire racks? they both are different and can i put it on top of the dripping pan? so that the fat drips off?

I know, So many questions,, but i need HELP! I want to use it to cook my lean meats, and roast vegetables and bake. I heard its all much healthier than pan fry, which is what i do for my lean meats. So all help is welcomed!!

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Bugzy2013, try going to this site..... www.mantestedrecipes.com lots of ideas. You will also need to read the booklet that came with your oven. Especially concerning the diff sized racks, I'm thinking one is a drip pan to be used in the deep baker , but Idk for sure. There's usually a ph number for customer service questions in the booklet too, and recipes, just take some time and read it through

Bugzy2013 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Whats a deep baker? And what do i used to catch the fat drippings when cooking meat?

totallywiggedout replied to Bugzy2013's response:
That pan, that you said is black and deep that came with your oven? I think that's a deep baking pan. Since it's black, that means its got a non stick coating, like a teflon or ceramic.
The smaller rack, if it fits down into your baking pan, then your meats or whatever can be placed on the rack Inside of the baking pan, the fats will drip off and into the pan. Otherwise the baking pan can be used for roasting veggies, making lasagna, chicken in cream of mushroom sauce, anything really. But we already know the racks are heat proof to the oven temperatures, so they can really be used for the inside of pan racks to keep meat up off drippings. If you don't want things to stick to the rack, spray it with non stick cooking spray first.
Now, homemade pizzas or even frozen ones, can go right in oven on the top rack without a pan if you like crispier crusts.
Just like a regular oven, though these little ovens have their own quirks. You may have to adjust given cooking times to the temperament of your own oven. Meaning , keep watch of stuff you put in it, and take note as to when it's actually done vs what the recipe or box says for cooking times.

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Note, if your smaller rack does fit inside of your baking pan (deep baker) but does NOT keep it off the bottom enough to let juices drip in without touching meats, raise the rack by balling up (4) 1 inch balls of aluminum foil and setting the rack on top of those inside the pan, that will give plenty of "drippings" space.

okay.. Thank you very much. Do you know how to bake crispy chicken in the oven though? Or salmon? Just a basic simple recipe or idea will do. I just need to overcome my fear of using it. Im usually afraid that the meat will not cook or be underdone, and it will be raw. i Know, Weird.....

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Bugzy2013's response:
Hi Bugzy -

In a search about calculating cooking times and temps for a convention oven it seems most suggest to adjust time by 25%, adjust temp by 25% or adjust both time and temp by 25%.

Be sure to consult the manual provided with your oven for specific instructions. If you don't have one, try googling the manufacturer.

Here is a Crispy Lemony Chicken with Roasted Potatoes and
Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken to try.

I can't wait to hear how it turned out!
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

Oven crisp chicken breast
1 boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced diagonally into 3-4 "tenders"
1 egg white, mixed well with either a Tblsp of mustard or some ranch dressing
2 or 3 saltines blended fine with 3 Tblsp cornmeal, add onion powder and some garlic powder to this while blending
--- dip chicken strips into egg white mix, then roll in the cornmeal mixture, place on a cookie sheet (right size for your oven) thats been sprayed with PAM cooking spray, then spray the tops well
-- in reg oven it bakes at 400 for 8 min then turn chicken strips and bake another 8-10 till done and crispy but not dried out
This works for fish also, but I usually just put my thawed tilapia on a PAM coated cookie sheet then spread some Laughing Cow Lite swiss or blue cheese on top then sprinkle with that cornmeal coating, Spray with PAM and bake at 400 for about 15 min till no longer opaque and flakes well with a fork

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Oh for salmon, Place your fillet on PAM sprayed aluminum foil in baking pan, I like teriyaki on mine, or sweet and sour sauce brushed over it. Just bake for about 8-10 min at about 375 then check to see if it flakes well , if not bake another 3-4 min. and chk again with fork

Thank you very much.. But, i was told to not cook with Aluminum Foil on the bottom because it was unhealthy? any truth to that?

Do you ever eat baked potatoes in restaurants? 9 times out of 10 they have been baked in aluminum foil.
Please , never ever eat an entire roll of aluminum foil... this could be unhealthy. Will you die from cooking once or twice a week on aluminum foil lined pans? Probably have a better chance of getting struck by lightening, twice.
I'm 47 I've been using alum foil since I was a kid, My mom died at 76 had all sorts of heart and cholesterol probs, negative for aluminum poisoning, she cooked on aluminum foil AND in aluminum pots and pans, so did my grandmother.
I'm sure yours did too.
On this site, www.cancertutor.com , look up the good the bad and the ugly. It will tell you that "studies show that Alzheimers only came into being since the onset of the use of aluminum pots and pans," I'd like to know how they came to this conclusion, since the study of alzheimers is a fairly new subject and aluminum pots and pans have been around for decades. And its not necessarily true that the degrading of the brain only just started since then , it used to be called "hardening of the arteries" , for over a hundred years or so,when people exhibited the decrease of mental capacity.

Ok. Thanks for telling me all the info.. umm going to another topic, (for now..), do you know why my roasted potatoes always come out hard as a rock? i first preheat the toaster oven for maybe 15 mins, and then have the potatoes cut into quarters. Its a mixture of purple, red, and gold potatoes, all small bite sized potatoes to begin with. i toss them in olive oil and dried rosemary, and then place them in a circular glass dish. what temperature and for about how long should i cook them? bottom, middle, or top rack? bake or toast?

Personally, i'd never potatoe 1/4s without a little water in bottom of pan too, so they wouldnt dry out also using a glass cover wouldn't hurt either since then they will retain the steam, bake a little faster and not be so rock hard. Never tried them this way, but since a regular sized baked spud baked at 350 takes about 35-40 min id say if you are doing potatoe 1/4s start by quartering that time. Stir , fork test for doneness and if not done, bake more at 5 min increments, after each test. ovens are all different.
If yours in convection. convection works by circulating hot air around your dish. so placing baking dish in center on middle rack would probably be best.

i'll try tonight.. thank you

olivia327 responded:
You can bake your salmon in easy and quickly ways ! here at How To Bake Salmon you can read there instruction on baking salmon. Enjoy !

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 81 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.