Skip to content

Announcements

What is your favorite go-to dish or casserole?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
What is your favorite go-to dish or casserole?

You know... the dish you make when you get a call from a friend that had a new baby, a potluck dinner with friends or a summer BBQ?

Share your recipes!
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

totallywiggedout responded:
Homemade meatballs in bourbon bbq sauce, baked in the oven till done, then transferred to a crockpot to go and keep warm

shelbyray69 responded:
Tator tot hot dish. Ground beef mixed with onions, corn, green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and topped with shredded cheese and tator tots. Been a staple in my family since I was too young to know what I was eating! It's also a pretty big deal in the mid west

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
These sound yummy!

TotallyWiggedOut - Tell us more about Bourbon BBQ sauce, how do you make it?

Shelbyray69 - You are making my mouth water, I haven't had this in years! How can we lighten it up to also include in a weekly meal plan?
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

totallywiggedout replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Elizabeth.
Spicy Bourbon BBQ meatballs
for meatballs preheat oven to 350 deg
2# very lean gr beef
2 Cups dry bread crumbs
2 eggs
2 Tblsp low sodium soy sauce
1/2 Cup finely minced onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
mix all together in lg bowl, roll into 1 1/2 in meatballs(coctail sized), place in 9x13 baking pan, bake @ 350 for 15 min.
Meanwhile mix Bourbon sauce
1 Cup Bourbon, use cheapest its gonna be ok
1 1/2 Cup Ketchup
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dry mustard
2 Tblsp worchestershire sauce
a couple dashes hot sauce
mix thoroughly, pour over partially baked meatballs. Continue to bake uncovered for 20-25 min till done
-- can then be transferred to crockpot , kept on low or can be chilled and served cold, good either way, nice on hoagie buns with coleslaw on top for leftovers

gjvbbrn responded:
Any kin of mixed casseroles are great. Meat, veggies and starch all in one...yumm...
I made a great Mac and cheese recently, cooked noodles, cheddar cheese, 1 cup milk, garlic salt, and those little bite size sausages you can get... can't think of the name... f wanted could even add peas or corn or something.
I also love something "simple" like a crock pot of chilli they can eat from as needed. Or a stew w/ lots of fresh veggies.

butterflygarden responded:
In the summer I love to bring fresh salads!

Here is one I made just this past weekend:

Chop all these ingredients together, toss and serve:

4 medium salad cucumbers, washed and sliced into rounds
5 or 6 medium Roma tomatoes, cubed
1/2 cup of fresh cilantro leaves
1/8 cup crumbled feta cheese
(if you like onions you can add them, but I don't)

Dressing:

1/8 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (lighter version if you don't like the strong flavor)
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
whisk together and pour over salad and toss. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.

Butterfly

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.