Skip to content

Announcements

How Often Do You Eat Out? Fast or Fancy Meals?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Eating out can be a convenience or a luxury. Healthy eating out can be a challenge.
  • How often do you eat out, how many times a day or week?
  • Which meals?
  • Is eating out more of a convenience or luxury for you and your family?
  • How do you plan for healthy meals out?
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

Tomato05 responded:
I hardly ever eat dinner out, just special occasions. Say about once a month.

About once a week I have a light lunch out.

These lunches I eat out are because it's convenient - mostly when I'm out shopping or running other errands.

I eat at places that have healthy salads on the menu - I mostly order a type of vegetable salad combined with a protein source like grilled chicken, shrimps,boiled eggs or fish. I ask for the dressing to be left off, and I ask for vinegar separately. I then add salt and black pepper myself.

Sometimes I order a vegetable or miso soup, or poached eggs.

shelbyray69 responded:
I eat out maybe 2-3 times a week. Most of those times are quick lunches or on the go dinners when I am alone or on my lunch break. I'm an optician at a walmart so there is the subway in store here and that's a top pick of mine when I don't have time to run home for lunch. Me and my fiance do eat out together maybe once a week, as a date night kind of thing.

Normally I eat the subway and I know I'm making good choices there cause I can't stand that meatball thing or any of the fat filled subs they have. Sometimes I may go through drive thru and grab a hamburger, never eat the top bun, or a salad. But i'm finding that some salads have more calories then a burger and fries. When I do eat a meal like that there is definitely more working out that night or the next morning, and I always have water with it (gave up pop in january).

When it's date night we go to a sit down place. Sometimes a steak house, or just a bar and grill. I get wraps, seafood (broiled is my fave preparation) a steak, almost always a salad bar or a side salad so by the time I get to my meal I'm pretty full. But we do indulge sometimes and hit up red lobster or applebees and get a big ol plate of nachos or wings from buffalo wild wings. But it is a rare occasion and always followed with exercise and water, lots of water. I found that if I am hard on myself and don't allow myself to eat out, or have these cheat meals once in a while, I'm constantly eating crap at home, chips, pizza, cookies. But once I gave myself a few cheat passes and told myself "you DESERVE this", my diet has been almost flawless at home!

etang627 responded:
I eat out about once or twice a week, usually with colleagues for lunch. I usually volunteer to select a few restaurants so that I can pick out the ones that offer healthier food. I then either check out the menu online or request a menu from the restaurant so that I can approximate what I am going to eat and how I can prepare for it without stressing my diet limit.

While it's much easier to go over the board with the amount of food given at restaurants, I always remind myself that there is always a next time to visit the same restaurant or have the same food again. This often helps me to practice portion control.

butterflygarden responded:
Convenience.

I hate to admit it, but for a while there our family was eating out once or twice a week. I was really busy at work,and since I am the only person who cooks around here for the most part I just wasn't up to it.

I'd like to say we ate healthy, but UGH...chicken wings and BBQ were some of the top choices.

Since it has gotten warmer, my hubby is grilling more, and I've commissioned my 18-year-old daughter to cook one meal a week. We haven't eaten out for dinner in about a month.

I'd love some ideas for easy, healthy meals.

Butterfly

Helpful Tips

All fine with some changes
I am slightly diabetic and not overweight, but still make these changes to almost all baked goods: Replace all flour with a combination ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.