Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

How to Healthy Bake??
Bugzy2013 posted:
I know that all baked goods are unhealthy, but isn't there a way to incoporate ONLY HEALTHY ingredients and come out with a great teasting muffin or bread or cookie? Something with low sodium, low calories, no artificial sugars and WHOLE WHEAT is a MUST! please, any recipes with nutritional info?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

totallywiggedout responded:
Funny you should ask, I went searching for a "lite" bran muffin recipe. I didn't like the idea of using the oil as all muffins ask for. I baked the All bran muffins substituting stevia and honey for the sugar, and a lg baby food jar of stage 2 carrots.
They tasted ok, but were heavy and didn't rise high and light like a muffin should. Entirely edible, but not what I was looking for. Made them the reg way with oil but substituted stevia and honey again and they turned out much better. I guess a fat is necessary for lightness, you just have to opt for "healthier" oils like grapeseed , which is better for baking than olive oil since it has virtually no flavor.

Bugzy2013 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
okay..I guess I will stick to oil. I have always used banana puree or applesauce instead of oil but they come out dense. I also use White Whole Wheat flour. But do you know when it is TOO MUCH baking powder or baking soda? like when will it come out to be low sodium? (my baking powder is reduced sodium to 35 mg per 1/8 teaspoon) (my baking soda is the same) And, i only make 6 muffins at a time.

totallywiggedout replied to Bugzy2013's response:
Well, whole wheat flour is always denser than reg white flour. Most cake/muffin recipes say that in order to get the lightness, you should never go over 1/2 whole wheat to 1/2 white flour ratio. BUT there is something that may work if you want to stay with all whole wheat. Put your flour in a blender or food processor and blend it super fine. This will make it more on the order of cake flour which is the absolute lightest flour to bake with.
On the bananas and applesauce, y don't you substitute a little at a time and just work with it? like try 3/4 fruit to 1/4 oil for a batch see if it works better.
I'm not sure what you mean with "when will it come out to be low sodium. "
I'll tell you, I NEVER add the salt called for in any of my recipes. NONE. Especially in baked goods because the baking soda and powder DO have that taste and I only use pure lightly salted butter when margarine or butter is called for so I get my salt in that too.
Really, I wouldn't worry about the sodium content of baking soda and powder. By the time you divide what you use in the recipe by the 6 or so items you make, that count is Miniscule. It's the same if a whole egg is called for, use the whole stupid egg. Its only one and its divided by (x) item made, lol

YES! thank you! i thought i was the only one who totally omits the salt part. but ive got a question about putting the flour in the processor, once you've done it, does it become less than the amount called for?

Only slightly less because the particles are smaller and allow for more settling. Measure before the process. Since you are using denser, more heavy flour with the whole wheat anyhow, it wont make a difference in your outcome.

Ahhhh... okay...i gotcha! well now i cant wait to make new muffins! Except i will have to work in batches because my food processor is "extra Small"... i have a question though, which is more useful, a Stand Mixer or a Food Processor? I would like to make alot of muffins because i believe that they are the easiest to make "HEALTHY"... (its hard to make a cake "healthy",...right? its just filled with sugar?) but i would like to make cookies or other baked goods like crepes, scones, or pies, breads, (especially bread but i still have yet to find a low sodium recipe)

LOL, I haven't owned a full sized blender in years. I have one of those little Magic Bullet thingys, love that sucker to death. But , I don't make up smoothies for a crowd and I don't make my frozen daquiries at home . If you do, by all means have a blender.
I really rely on my cheapy hand mixer, my magic bullet and my bread machine. I finally broke down two weeks ago and bought a food processor, because I'm on this kick of eating thinly sliced sweet potatoes, beets , rutabagas and turnips made so that I can Oven crisp them Like chips and it was a solid bore trying to get them thin enough with a knife. So , what I'm basically saying is unless you are cooking,chopping and mincing for a crowd, your small food processor should be enough. Esp. if you have a bread machine because those puppies do all the mixing for you.
Crepes are just really thinned out pancake mix, and I make my own of both from scratch, cheapy hand mixer.
Muffins, I use a fork cause if you over mix those you get tall pointy tops and thats not good, it shows a tough muffin. Overmixing is the culprit with tough muffins.
My bread machine recipe calls for only like 1/2 tsp of salt for the whole loaf I think. You dont need much, and have you seen the Morton Lite salt out? It's only got like 1/2 the sodium in it as reg table salt, I've been using that and its not too bad., and pretty cheap, u can get a decent sized thing of it too, its not in a small pkg or super huge, for about 2 dollars.

LOL... I actually dont have a bread machine, i wish i did, but i have no money for it. And, i do have a full sized blender. but, to make dough, can i use the blender ? or do i need some special bladee thingy?

IMHO blenders are NOT for dough. lol. wrong type of blade and wrong type of mixing motion. Breads need love and care. Without a bread machine, STAND mixers are the next best thing when they are fitted with a "dough hook" , the OTHER name for a special bladee thingy, lol.
But HAND mixers won't work for that even with a dough hook because bread mixing takes time and the dough is stiff and gets stiffer as you work it, it'll burn up a hand mixer faster than Grant went through Richmond.
Try bread by hand sweety. there's something soothing about the kneeding and pushing and rolling that happens if you let it. It does take awhile but a lot of people like to make bread by hand.

LOL.. I dont have a stand mixer because i have absolutely NO Space on my counter!! its frustrating! lol i want it!.. i have tried making pizza dough with white whole wheat flour by hand and was clueless on what to do.. Please tell me what Im doing wrong and anything that you do differently that works!) First, I mixed all the ingredients together with a big rubber spatula. It was SUPER WET And STICKY.. i was like "whatt is thisss?". Then second, I had no idea on how to take this sticky mass and knead it till it looks like the pretty spring, shiny, elastic balls on TV. So then I took the mass, placed it on parchment paper and tried to knead it, but it was TOO Sticky and not comng together! it was soft and weird.

WHEN I FINALLY JUST SAID TO MYSELF "whatever, ill put it in the oven", i stretched it out, it was kinda elastic, placed it on a glass baking dish, and made pizza.. it came out OK, i guess, soft and squishy, kindof flavorless dough that tasted great with toppings but blah without..

So the real question is, "what to do when you knead White Whole Wheat/ Whole wheat dough?? for pizza, breads, etc""

Good Morning Bugzy, you are SO in luck!
I have happened upon a completely to die for pizza crust recipe. This is for 2 lg pizzas or 4 good sized personnal type pizzas.
First , let me explain about the sticky dough problem. Virtually ALL recipes for breads allow for an added bit of "mix in flour" to be added when doing the final kneading. That is, add the flour that is called as per recipe, but know that you will be adding around another 1/4 - 1/2 cup for the kneading process.
When your dough has been mixed, sticky yet, lightly flour your CLEAN and DRY countertop. Roll that sticky stuff out onto the floured surface (when I say lightly, i mean, a decent sized area of about 9x12 inches dusted with about 1/4 cup flour concentrated more in center area) . Push dough down onto the flour, flip over, fold, using the heals of your hands begin a slow kneading, pushing,spreading slightly , refolding, turning over, bringing in more flour from edges on counter as you need to to make your dough PLIABLE and not sticky, but NOT DRY, Once it's lost its stickiness, NO MORE FLOUR, just continue to knead for a min , dough should be pliable, and smoothe to touch. Put dough back into bowl, pour 1-2 Tblsp of olive oil over, roll the dough over and over till coated with oil, cover with towel and set in warmer place, not in draft, not in warm oven, to rise for 30 min. At this point your dough will be useable or half can be frozen. \ To use, flatten on cookie sheet lightly sprinkled with a dusting of cornmeal , do not flip over while stretching dough out, cornmeal on bottom only.
OK now the recipe and it's own directions, for baking
Follow this as is , dont fret the beer its necessary for the knockout flavor it brings to the dough, trust me on this, for I would NOT lie about this, This is my favorite pizza dough ever.
1C HOT water
1/3 C room temp beer
2 T olive oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tblsp cornmeal
3 1/2 C flour, if you use whole wheat, preblend 1/2 to make it a bit lighter
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp garlic POWDER, not garlic salt
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp italian seasoning
1 pkt of fast acting active dry yeast
--- add yeast to water set aside for 10 min. to let activate
---with a fork mix flour,onion and garlic powders, b.powder,salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl
---add beer and honey to water/yeast mixture, lightly mix with fork
--- make "well" in flour mixture, pour water/beer mix into well, using fork, stir dry ingredients toward wet until all incorporated and no dry is sticking to sides or bottom, if you want, you can mix with hands to finish. cover, let rest 5 min.
AT THIS point start the above countertop mixing method for kneading then rising.
AFTER the bowl rising, and splitting into seperate balls of dough for size pizza you want, and spreading onto cornmeal baking sheet....... BAKE pizza CRUST ONLY at 400 degrees for 5 to 7 min(time depends on the thickness of dough,thin 5 min etc) THEN top with toppings and bake for 15 -20 min, again , this will depend on your crust thickness and topping thickness, WATCH your pizza, dont let it overbake. Your oven is different from mine. EVERYTHING is relative and to your personal taste.

Sorry but i cant use the beer! i will just have to omit that, and the sugar, ( i dont have refined sugar in my house, i havent bought any since who knows when...) and i need to buy active dry yeast..

which, btw, is active dry yeast better than the instant? whats more useful?

Oh, and would i have a problem since my oven is my toaster oven? Its not a standard size oven

Use stevia or more honey, Y not the beer? Jeez it literally MAKES the crust. It's amazing when u add the flavors of the sauce and veggies.... Im sure there are Natural beers out there or whatever is the cause of your reluctance to use it..... as for your oven, just make small personal sized pizzas to fit yours. AND like i said before watch it like a hawk the first time to chk for proper baking times, ovens vary and the convection will probably bake far faster than a regular oven. So decrease the orig just crust bake to 5 min first then add the toppings and decrease that by about 5-6 min and add time as necessary.

LOL.. we just dont buy any alcoholic beverages in my house.. can i use OJ instead?

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 81 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.