Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Flavored Carbonated Water + Weight Loss?
AGatekeeper posted:
Hello!

I used to frequently drink carbonated water (the flavored kind available from many grocery stores).

As I am struggling with my weight, a friend told me that drinks like that are bad for your health because the carbonation expands your stomach and it takes more to make you feel full. A quick search of the Internet found lots of sites both for and against this idea. For the past two months I've substituted the waters for Gatorade and/or Crystal Light.

In that time I've actually gained 5 lbs. Now I know I have other unhealthy eating habits I need to control, bu I can't help but wonder if increasing my caloric intake from the 0-calorie waters to 130+ calorie bottles of Gatorafe had offset any benefits from the elimination of carbonation.

Can anybody help set me straight on this? I don't want to continue down this path if it's ultimately going to do more harm than good.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

totallywiggedout responded:
Sweety, it's not the calories in Gatorade it's the sodium that's making you gain weight. You are retaining fluids because of all the sodium in that stuff. Switch to just the cal free water additives and you will drop that unwanted water weight.
Gatorade is for people who do lots of outdoor physical activity in high heat. They sweat a whole lot during those workouts and need to replace electrolytes(sodium) that are lost in sweat. If you are just drinking it to quench a thirst or just to drink it, you are doing it wrong and for the wrong reasons. Good old all purpose water is what your body wants when you get thirsty. You need to take in at least 64 oz a day of water, not gatorade, not juices, not coffee... water.

AGatekeeper replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks for the response. I'm definitely not married to the idea of the Gatorade, it was more an issue of "well it's in the same aisle as my waters and it tastes alright."

I'm definitely not a fan of tapwater or bottled water, I just can't get into it. Do you know of any deleterious effects of the carbonated waters?

totallywiggedout replied to AGatekeeper's response:
Check out www.mayoclinic.com search Carbonated Water and Bone Health. That's a reliable site to check out thing that may be bad for you.
The bigger question is," what does the nutritional label say on the carbonated water that you like to drink?"
Some carbonated waters add Sodium, like in Gatorade, it's not a decent additive for your "hydration". Also, if your carbonated water is flavored and "sugar free" , like most people drink, Exactly what IS the form of sweetener? Check the list of ingredients.
Ingredients are listed in order of highest content, as an example, most kids cereals will read like this Ingredients: Sugar, wheat (or rice or whatever) , etc. Meaning There is more sugar in that box than anything else.
Now back to your carbonated water.... what is the sweetener listed? Most of those drinks use an artificial sweetener. Therein lies the problem that you should worry about. There have been a lot of tests done on artificial sweeteners, results range from cancer to literally making your body/brain crave sugars and fats.
Your best bet is to arm yourself with information about the contents of your carbonated drink and then make a decision based on those findings.
There are better ways to get better carbonated waters, those new fizzy water makers that are available now . Most of those have flavored additives that are ALL NATURAL.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
To add to Totally's awesome response,here is more info on fizzy water and things to sip during the summer -

Summer Sipping
Fizzy Water Recipe
Sweet, Sour, Salty, and Fizzy
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

butterflygarden replied to AGatekeeper's response:
Hey AGatekeeper!

It sounds like boring old water just isn't doing it for you. I drink a lot of water (trying to lose weight and just get healthier), and I tend to squeeze some lemon or lime juice into my water. Oranges are good, too. It doesn't add sweet, but it adds some tangy flavor.

A friend of mine also suggested these new MiO water enhancers. They have sucralose, so are sweet but not sugar-sweet. And, I also read they are gluten-free, which is a plus for some folks. I haven't actually tried them yet, but I thought I'd pick some up this weekend and see what they are all about.

Like you, I am also a fan of Crystal Light.

Butterfly

AGatekeeper replied to butterflygarden's response:
Thanks all. I did look up the ingredients list for the waters I like.

Carbonated Water, Citric Acid, Natural Flavor, Potassium Citrate, Aspartame, Potassium Benzoate (A Preservative), Acesulfame Potassium. Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine.

I know Aspartame is somewhat questionable but it doesn't contain any sodium.

LOL try again, see how the manufacturers slide that in?? Acesulfame Potassium SOUNDS like a good for you thing because it has potassium attached to it.
See the SULFA in Acesulfame?? That sweet thang is SODIUM. look up under Wikipedia.com Acesulfame Potassium and see what I mean.
Dont just look for the key words, you have to use some of your basic chemistry knowledge. Sulfur is sodium, any word with a dirivitive of that word has sodium.

please see www.aspertame.mercola.com and www.snopes.com about aspertame.

RoyaLeviDDS replied to totallywiggedout's response:
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read recently. Sulfa is not the same as sodium and never has been!... Have you read the literature on Acesulfame K yourself? Wow...

totallywiggedout replied to RoyaLeviDDS's response:
Hi, this is the informational knowledge that I went by. If I was mistaken and the sulfa, sulfur are not derived the same, please accept my deepest apologies for the misinformation.
Elemental sulfur was once extracted from salt domes where it sometimes occurs in nearly pure form, but this method has been obsolete since the late 20th century. Today, almost all elemental sulfur is produced as a byproduct of removing sulfur-containing contaminants from natural gas and petroleum . The element's commercial uses are primarily in fertilizers , because of the relatively high requirement of plants for it, and in the manufacture of sulfuric acid , a primary industrial chemical. Other well-known uses for the element are in matches , insecticides and fungicides . Many sulfur compounds are odiferous, and the smell of odorized natural gas, skunk scent, grapefruit, and garlic is due to sulfur compounds. Hydrogen sulfide produced by living organisms imparts the characteristic odor to rotting eggs and other biological processes
k

rohvannyn responded:
Here's a little info about sweetners, including acesulfame k. http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/comparing-artificial-sweeteners-topic-overview

I know that sulfur is not a salt, it's a separate element entirely. Personally I don't like artificial sweetners anyway, my personal poison is Stevia. One of my favorite non carbonated cooling drinks is to crush up a bunch of peppermint leaves (dried or fresh) and put it in water with a little stevia and keep it in the fridge. Not as strong as a tea, but very refreshing. I also make my own ginger ale on occasion.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

totallywiggedout replied to rohvannyn's response:
Hi Roh, your concoction made me think to ask you. Have you ever seen the actual Stevia plant? Walmart had them this spring, and I of course like a fool, didn't buy one, but I DID eat one of the leaves. Yep sweet.
So the thing is, since I know you like to steep different plant leaves to make teas, like Judy does. Maybe you should think about a windowsill stevia plant and you could steep those leaves right along with your various others and skip the Manufactured/Man handled stuff altogether. I'd bet Burpee or Stokes seeds has em .
huggs
kim

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I do intend to grow stevia when I can, but frankly right now I'd defoliate a plant pretty quickly! I still want to try to grow some. Trouble is, I don't have window ledges to grow things on and it's pretty punishing to put plants outside. I want to render it down to a tea for storage.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

jacobedward02 replied to rohvannyn's response:
If I had to rank the water options today from my first choice to the last it would be:
1. Plain water or plain sparkling water with no sodium
2. Unsweetened water or sparkling water flavored with "fruit essence"
3. Artificially sweetened sparkling water
4. Water with added artificially sweetened liquid water enhancer

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 39 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.