Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Tuesday's Kitchen Tip - How to Check Your Grill's Hotspots
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
It's grilling season! Before you fire up the grill, take some time to test your grill and your knowledge to learn more about grilling with these tips, quiz and video.

Check for Hotspots - After cleaning and checking your grill, turn on all burners to medium for about 15 minutes. Take slices of plain, white bread and evenly spread them out to completely cover the grilling surface/grates. Close grill and wait about 10-15 minutes (if you smell smoke or if the bread is burning do not wait the 10-15mins).

Open lid and turn over bread (now possibly toast). You can tell by the color and marks on the bread where your hottest spots are and adjust your food placement and grill times accordingly.

For more grill information and tips -
Quiz: Test Your Grilling Smarts
Video: Keeping Your Grill Safe and Clean

What is your favorite meal to grill?
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

Markss responded:
And what are we to do with all that possibly toasted and hopefully not burned white bread?

Tomato05 responded:
Good tip, thanks.

What food should go onto the hottest spots, and what onto the cooler spots?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Markss's response:
Hi Markss -

Great question! The first thing that comes to mind is to make croutons or bread crumbs.

Does anyone else have suggestions?
Elizabeth

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Tomato05's response:
Hi Tomato -

I am no grilling expert, but after searching around a bit (and asking my husband) figured out a little info.

Higher heat and direct grilling - Smaller foods that can be cooked quickly and have nice grill marks. Burgers, thinner chicken breasts, shrimp, fish, vegetables.

Lower heats and indirect grilling - Larger chicken pieces, roasts, potatoes.

Who can offer more grilling tips for different foods and temps?
Elizabeth

totallywiggedout replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I like my steaks xx rare so I always cook mine over high heat but for just a couple of min per side. As long as its not cold in the middle im ok with that. I always joke, give me a knife and a fork and a cow standing in the sun and I'll cut my own lol.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to totallywiggedout's response:
LOL - You and my mom could cook yours together! I prefer mine to be medium well.

Here is a recipe, not for steaks but something to create with the test bread. Instead of using the stove try baking in the grill -

Zucchini, Tomato, and Swiss Cheese Pie

I have zucchini, squash and tomatoes from my in-laws garden so this is a perfect dish to try. The fennel seed won me over! I only have wheat bread to test for the grill marks, I hope it shows up!
Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.