How to buy a healthy Butter?
Bugzy2013 posted:
Right now, I have "smart balance" butter with flax. But i wonder if there is a butter that is "HEALTHIER"?

I heard that butter is good for you, if you buy the "Real" "Healthy" stuff.
(but never buy the hydronated oil/trans fat stuff)

please help!

totallywiggedout responded:
I only use real butter. I've switched since Jan. because of all the transfats and bad oils in margarine. Make no mistake, margarine is NOT butter.
Butter comes from cows milk, margarine comes from a laboratory.

Bugzy2013 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
What brand of butter do you use? How can i tell if the stuff Im buying is REAL butter?

totallywiggedout replied to Bugzy2013's response:
usually use Land O Lakes, sticks. If I want it creamier, as a spread, then I let it sit out a little while to soften. But butter sticks can be creamed with a hand mixer , which i sometimes do and add some honey to make honey butter spread.
If any product says, margarine, or spread, its not all butter. It has additives to make it smooth and creamy even after refridgeration, which real butter isn't , it gets quite hard in the fridge, so you have to let it sit out for a few min to soften.

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
And, Im not sure, but I dont think "Smart Balance" IS butter. Its a margarine spread.

what should be the list of ingredients in butter? I found some with oils, omega-3s, and all sorts of stuff. But then i found one butter stick that just says "Pasturized Cream" and something else.. ONLY 2 ingredients compared to the long list of the others!

But when i check the nutrition label, the butter with 2 Ingredients, had more FAT and CALORIES??!

Whats better??

I think you are still confusing Margarines for butter. Butter is made from the fats skimmed off of whole "from the cow" milk which is then churned until it stiffens and becomes butter. Boxes of butter sticks are usually labeled either "Sweet Cream Butter" , "unsalted Butter" or "salted Butter" . But if it's real butter it will state BUTTER on the package.
Sweet cream and Unsalted are the same, its just got no salt added. Lightly salted is just that, lightly salted Butter.
All that other crap, the ones with oils, omega 3's (which is found in fish oils) or whatever else are NOT BUTTER. In fact if you read the labels there are little or NO actual amounts of real cream or milk in them. Meaning they are FAKE butter, also known as "margarines". IF IT DOESNT SAY BUTTER its NOT BUTTER

OK.. thanks.. I THink I understand now. When I look for my next butter, I will buy the one with the 2 Ingredients.

But wait, so REAL butter has more calories than FAKE butter?
Thats what the label said

Yes. That's right. More calories but all natural. It's considered an animal fat. See the point Im trying to make here, is that the more natural the foods, the more they are made from whole foods like milk the better they are for you, reguardless of the calories. The margarines all have poly unsaturated fats which are chemicals and byproducts .
Your body requires a certain amount of fats in your daily diet to keep your skin, eyes, hair , nails, and intestinal tract healthy. These when absorbed provide the elasticity componants that help keep things beautiful, growing well, and glowing with that healthy look that , if you know anyone that is on a very strict low fat or vegetarian diet, doesn't have. That funny pale grayish yellow palor to their skin and that nasty straw look to their hair is from lack of fats.
So, the consequence is, if you want to look healthy, you must eat fats. The best fats to put into your body are natural, from natural sources that are not grown in a petri dish in a lab (like all margarines and spreads).
Olive oil, walnut oil, grapeseed oil, butter, food grade coconut oil. These are all good fats. Some will disagree about the butter, but given the choice of eating processed foods like margarine which is made from oil or of eating something that comes straight from whole cows milk in its natural state, it's a no brainer..... It's not like you are gonna sit down and eat a whole stick of butter, right? Read the label, and use only as much as you need for your piece of toast or your oatmeal or your corn on the cob....You won't even use as much because butter , tastes like butter because it IS butter, not because its artificially flavored to taste like the real thing.

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
The whole concept of eating better for you body is simple. The less ingredients on the label, the better and less "processed" that product is. The more natural, in other words.
Actually on another blog the other day, someone said the best foods that you can eat, dont come with a label. Fresh raw fruits and veggies dont have them... Most fresh meat doesn't have them.
Nutrition labels are good for one thing in this sense, that if a food container has one, it shows you that it's been through a "process", like having vitamin D added to milk, or calcium added to pure orange juice.
Look for foods with labels that you know exactly what every ingredient is..... I would bet there are very few, and that's because there are so many additives out there, and a whole lot of them are byproducts that are not good for you

BlissfulWriter responded:
Butter from pasture raised cows are best. Free-ranging cows on their natural diet gives them a healthy fat profile which results in butter which contain a healthy balance of fats. And if you can get it organic as well, then all the better. But if you had to choose between pastured cows or organic, then pastured cows are preferred.

Any butter is always better than any margarine .

BlissfulWriter replied to BlissfulWriter's response:
I use butter on my vegetable because the saturated fats helps with the absorption of fat-soluable vitamins like vitamin A, E, D, and K. Personally, I like KerryGold butter.

Bugzy2013 replied to BlissfulWriter's response:
WOW! Thank you for all the info! it was very useful to me!

Personally, I dont even eat butter on a regular basis. Actually, I think the last time I ate butter was on Mother's Day when i made some French Toast.

But, I am now learning to bake and alot of recipes call for butter to make the muffins "Fluffier". So that is why I am so interested in the healthiest butter.

I have noticed that the good butter at my grocery store comes in packages and not containers... Pretty interesting

AGAIN.. THank you TotallyWiggedOut and BlissfulWriter!