Skip to content

Announcements

Can I Use Phyllo Dough In My Baking? Is it "Healthy"?
Bugzy2013 posted:
I have seen people talk about this Phyllo dough on tv, and I want to know if it is perfectly OKAY to use it in my baking? Is there trans fat in there? Is there Butter? Is there some weird UNHEALTHY ingredients in it?

Also, if it is okay to use ( instead of pie dough or something, which i can't seem to make with whole wheat dough, not talented enough ) , is there a healthy recipe that goes along with it???

butterflygarden responded:
Hi Bugzy!

I use phyllo dough to bake a few things. It is convenient to buy in the store or you can make it yourself. Here is what Wikipedia says about it .

My favorite thing to make are fruit pastries. Just cut the down into small squares that will fit into a cupcake pan. Put in a square, brush with a little mixture of honey and melted butter, then add another sheet square and repeat until you've made a little cup. Spoon in fresh fruit, like blueberries, and maybe just a sprinkle of sugar and bake until the fruit is juicy and the dough is browned. My kids like to top them with a dollop of vanilla yogurt or vanilla frozen yogurt.

Butterfly

Bugzy2013 replied to butterflygarden's response:
Ok!... I will try..

But, what brand of phyllo do you use?

butterflygarden replied to Bugzy2013's response:
I just buy whatever is cheapest. They all seem to be very similar.

Here is a site I found I think you'll like -- http://phyllo.com/.

Butterfly

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.