Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Anyone got summer drink recipes?
butterflygarden posted:
This weekend is going to pretty much kick off summer parties for us. Does anyone have yummy summer drink recipes to share? Can be leaded or unleaded, if you know what I mean. And, lighter versions of old favorites are welcome, too.

Here is one my daughter and I concocted. We call it a Florida Suntan. It tastes a little like coco butter. You can make it lighter by using Diet Vanilla Coke:

Florida Suntan

Crushed ice
Vanilla Coke
1 shot of Coconut Rum

Enjoy!

Butterfly

totallywiggedout responded:
Midori Melon Smash
1 c melon, watermelon,cantalope or honeydew, any or all...
1 shot Midori
2-3 icecubes
Blend until smooth, Mix in 1/2 cup 7up
serve in tall glass with mint sprig
NOTE if made in lg batches, blend all but ice and 7up, store in freezer until soft set , mixing in 7up at serving time. No ice necessary with this method.

EleanorAnne responded:
My favorite summer drink is a Shandy - 1/2 beer 1/2 lemonade.

Refreshing!

Ellie

rohvannyn responded:
Hibiscus is great for the summer. You can soak the dried flowers in water in the fridge. Tastes a little like tart raspberry, kinda sorta. It doesn't require sweetener but you can add stevia or sugar. High in all kinds of nutrients. If you can't get dried hibiscus online, you can buy it online. Make sure to check at stores that carry a lot of food from Mexico. The Klass brand of instant drink mix comes in a hibiscus flavor, called "jamaica." It does need sweetener.

Cold mint tea is also nice for summer. I brew mine in an old juice bottle in the fridge by stuffing some crushed leaves in the water then letting it soak overnight.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

lissacoffey replied to rohvannyn's response:
eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, try to include fish and eggs and some dairy (if your conscience will allow), eat lots of nuts and good fats such as avocado, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and normal butter.

gracieallison responded:
My summer drink is Daiquiri. White Rum, fresh lime juice with simple syrup. Find more at http://www.foodandwine.com/cocktail-recipes

rohvannyn replied to lissacoffey's response:
That's fine and all, but this thread is about summer drinks.
Roh

rohvannyn replied to rohvannyn's response:
Home made ginger ale recipe!

This is more of a process than an exact recipe, designed to be tailored to fit your needs.

You will need chopped fresh ginger, water, a little lemon juice is optional, ordinary baker's yeast, and sweetner such as sugar, honey, or sugar and stevia combination. You will also need one or more plastic two liter soda bottles.

Start by brewing some ginger tea. Boil water (about a cup's worth) for 3 minutes in the microwave is fine) and drop some finely chopped fresh garlic, about a tablespoon per soda bottle, into it. Let that steep while you get the other items ready.

Heat a little water (about half a cup to a cup) to body temperature. Test it like you would a bottle, so it feels just a little warm on the inside of your wrist. Add about a teaspoon of yeast for every two liter soda bottle you will be using, maybe a little less. Add a couple spoonsfull of sugar or honey and mix well, then set the cup or bowl in a warm place for twenty minutes or so until the yeast starts foaming up nicely.

Pour the yeast mixture into your soda bottle/s. Then add water and sweetner to taste, maybe a cup of sugar per two liter bottle, or the equivalent in honey or stevia. It's important to have a little sugar in the mix because the yeast needs food to eat, but stevia or some other artificial sweetener can make up the balance. Mix it all up by the simple expedient of closing the bottle and shaking. Then strain the ginger tea and add that along with a little lemon if you like. Cap the bottle/s and shake them to mix it all thoroughly.

Only shake the bottle at the beginning, before the yeast has had a chance to work, otherwise you will have a mess on your hands.

Now set the bottle/s in a warmish place, room temperature at least. On top of the fridge works well for this. Leave it alone for one day, or untill the bottle feels hard when you squeeze it. At this point, the ginger ale can be safely stored in the fridge.

The yeast will leave a little bit of sediment in the bottom but if you don't slosh the bottles you can pour them without disturbing this layer. It won't hurt anything. I love this recipe because it's all natural and there are infinite variations. Sometimes I add mint or orange juice. If the bottle loses too much pressure, you can put it in a warm place again, and the yeast will start working again, and more carbon dioxide will be made. If your reaction is too slow you probably have too little sugar or the room is too cold.
Roh

rohvannyn replied to rohvannyn's response:
Grr. Somewhere in there I typed "garlic" instead of "ginger." You all know what I mean, right? Easy association... "fresh...chopped... garlic... GINGER! I mean GINGER!"
Roh

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 38 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.