Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Chocolate is EVIL
An_245690 posted:
OK, so I had a bad reaction to Theophylline (theobromine) and I don't seem to be able to tolerate chocolate very well. What say you?

But when I hear all this information in the media shoving chocolate down people's throats, I really wonder if it's that good for anyone? Remember, they also say that alcohol every day is good for people too. I question that. My thought is that of the population of this country, the percentage of folks who are ABLE to control their drinking, seems fairly small. Many folks can't drink due to medical conditions or prescriptions. And of course, kids hear this in the media and interpret it with juvenile minds that it is good for you. I'm not sold that alcohol should be promoted and I'm not sold that chocolate should be promoted. Frankly, it doesn't NEED promoting! OK, so maybe I'm just jealous. I do better without it.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello and Welcome -

We'd love to hear others thoughts about this.

Have you ever been able to eat chocolate?

My opinion - Everything in moderation. Have to say I like my chocolate and my wine, not everyday, but once in awhile.
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

Borrita replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Have ever been able to eat chocolate? When I was younger I was considered hypersomniac, and during menopause, I could barely keep my head up when sitting down. I totalled the car when I fell asleep at the wheel. I noticed one day that I was worse after music lessons, where my instructor always had a lot of chocolate. I eliminated the chocolate and suddenly I was significantly less drowsy. Since that time, I am far less drowsy, if at all.

When I was younger I had depression which I was medicated for- but the medications caused a downward spiral. After being at the bottom of the rung, my medical professionals refused to refill my prescriptions anymore. It took me 6 years, but after meeting my present husband, he told me to throw out the meds, and I did. I have been medication free for 24 years, told that the meds caused the issues, and I am not to take any prescriptioned medications without them being prescribed by my physician, who unfortunately lost his license a few years ago. Being a "risky" (?) patient, the physicians I've found by perusing the phone book have not be acceptable to me, and my history and records are lost.

I have other chemical, drug, and food sensitivities so though I don't believe it's diagnosed, I'm told I fit the diagnosis of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Disorder. I do have far less reactions since I'm 10 years post-menopausal, I'm not as sensitive to some things as I was (fragrance, for example). Food intolerances include dairy allergy, lactose intolerance, yeast breads, maltodextrin, caffeine, & chocolate. I also quit drinking alcohol about 1 1/2 ago. I also had a very significant change of behavior and improvement mentation.

I read a book once which talked about the category xanthines, or methylxanthines. Oddly, I noticed on the computer that all my food intolerances are included in the category of xanthines. However, I've never gotten a professional who would even discuss the possibilities. I'm told there are no local physicians or allergists who treat food intolerances nor Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Disorder. My most recent consideration is that I've had chronic diarrhea and even oozing which has cleared up since I have eliminated wheat & gluten from my diet. Endoscopy scheduled for later this month. I'm a former medical para (EMT, PCT). Sorry for the long post. Thought you might be interested.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Borrita's response:
Thanks for the long post, it is very interesting!

Sounds like you were able to tune into your body and truly investigate the sensitivities/allergies. Our society is trained to just take a pill for whatever ails us, sometimes not the best route. I applaud you!

We have a couple of allergy related communities you may be interested in -
Allergies Community
Food Allergy Families

PS - Ignore my next post about National Chocolate Ice Cream Day
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

Borrita replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Elizabeth,
Yes, I did have to learn to tune in to my body to cure myself. As I stated, my medical professionals believed that prescription meds were causing adverse reactions in me, I had a few Internists who were insistent that chronic issues such as the respiratory issues were unresolvable and I disagreed. I have solved most of the issues (and occasional accidental ingestion of some of the offending foods prove I am right, causing the issue again). I am very occasionally having one food item containing chocolate without much issue. I have undergone Endoscopy and Colonoscopy in the last few weeks as well to r/o gluten intolerance (which dietary changes have resolved so the results are pretty much a non-issue). I recently found at my grocery "vegan unsweetened carob chips." It sure ain't chocolate but it works. I also bought some carob powder but again, it ain't chocolate. Thanks for your kind response.

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 87 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.