Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
What to do with all these berries and peaches.....
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
What is your favorite dish to prepare with the abundance of blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and peaches?

Share your favorite dessert, side dish, appetizer or entree using one or all.
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

totallywiggedout responded:
I love berries of all types and use them wherever possible. From putting them in pancake or waffle batter to making my own toppings and syrups from them. I've also made wine from blueberries and from mulberries.
I have a very good recipe for Blueberry Ricotta cheese squares which is very nice and I try to make it several times per season. I also dry some berries, and definitely freeze up as many as possible when I get them to have them for quick additives in oatmeal, coffee cakes and beyond.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Totally -

Please share your Blueberry Ricotta Squares recipe. My mouth is watering and my fridge is full of blueberries!

Just finished my breakfast of Cherrios with blueberries and raspberries.

My in-laws have huge blueberry bushes and can't pick them quick enough. I have some drying on cookie sheets, getting ready to freeze them. I picked up a Jiffy cake mix to make a cobbler for the upcoming weekend.

Keep ideas coming....
Elizabeth

totallywiggedout replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
First off, don't dry your berries to freeze them and NEVER EVER wash before freezing, Pick them over to get the greenies out, then straight into ziplocks to freeze. Washing before freezing makes the skins tough.

dug out the recipe for you, here we go
BLUEBERRY RICOTTA SQUARES
1 c all purp flour
3/4 c sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c milk
1/4 c shortening
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
-----------
1 1/2 c fresh berries
2 eggs
1 1/4 c ricotta cheese
1/3 c sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, 3/4 c sugar, baking powder and salt with a fork. Add milk, shortening, 1 egg and 1/4 tsp vanilla. Beat on low speed with mixer till combined, then on medium speed for 1 minute.
Pour batter into lightly greased 9 x 13 pan.
Sprinkle berries over evenly over the top.
THEN; lightly beat the 2 eggs with fork, add ricotta cheese, 1/3 c sugar and 1/4 tsp vanilla. Beat well with fork till well combined.
Spoon this mixture over the top of the berries
Bake at 350 deg , 55-60 min. Check after 50 min for oven variances. This should be completely "set" to clean toothpick stage, edges get nicely tanned.
This keeps well lightly covered in fridge for 4 days or so. Don't cover too tightly as it collects moisture like a cheesecake does.

totallywiggedout replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
You could also always cook them down with sugar to make syrup then can the syrup for waffle/pancake toppings, as mix in with cream cheese to make a blueberry spread or as a super good additive to lemonade/ice tea or added to vodkas for super good drinks.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks so much!

Now I know why my frozen berries always seem a little bitter. Must be the tough skins. I have always rinsed them, spread them out to dry on a dish towel, then put them in the freezer!

I am going to make the the squares for Father's Day!
Elizabeth

Carolyn Brown, MS, RD responded:
I love using my extra berries to make a delicious and healthy smoothie. Try adding a splash of vanilla or almond extract to give a nice kick to it! Learn more about making your own smoothies here!

http://blogs.webmd.com/food-and nutrition/2012/06/smoothies.html
Carolyn

Carolyn Brown, MS RD CDN
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers - author unknown

Carolyn Brown, MS, RD replied to Carolyn Brown, MS, RD's response:
http://blogs.webmd.com/food-and-nutrition/2012/06/smoothies.html
Carolyn

Carolyn Brown, MS RD CDN
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers - author unknown

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.