Skip to content

Announcements

Buying foods , cooking , and finding recipes for person's with food allergies and staying on a family budget ???
chippewawoman posted:
I found out I have about 4 food allergies that are causing problems with my already unhealthy body : YEAST, SOY, BEEF, and TURKEY ! I'm having trouble buying foods with no yeast or soy and staying in my family food budget , the beef and turkey are easy to avoid . I have always loved bread and added breads to many meals in the past and it seems like soy or soy additives are in ALMOST EVERYTHING . Does anyone know a solution to this problem without spending extra money on a special diet for myself , I have a family to feed too ?

totallywiggedout responded:
For breads, you'll have to go to unleavened ones. I think Pitas are yeastless. I use the Flax and Oatbran ones from Walmart (you'll find them near the deli case) They are the least in calories from all of them so that's my "go to" sandwich bread, I even use them for making tuna melts and you can leave them whole and top with pizza toppings and bake them like pizza and you'll not have the yeast to deal with.
Instead of soy, which I don't eat at all so I know there are A LOT of alternatives out there, try Silk original Almond Milk. Only has 60 calories per cup and more calcium than milk.
If you liked to munch on soy nuts, try draining/rinsing/redraining and drying a can of garbonzo beans on paper towels till completely dry. Lightly coat in 1Tblsp of Olive Oil and bake at 350 for 35-40 min till crisped. Salt or use popcorn seasonings or chili powder.
As for the meats , you have lots of options of course. Have an egg entree one night a week or so, like Welsh Rarebit or a quiche. Canned tuna, or big bags of frozen Tilapia fillets are still fairly inexpensive and there's lots of recipes for those, and of course chicken and pork are extremely versatile.
You'll just have to think outside of the box now, and read the labels better. It really is simple to live without soy, for sure, yeast is a bit trickier but like I pointed out, there are surely alternative breads out there.

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.