Skip to content

Announcements

Weekly Recipe Swap
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
I thought we might enjoy a recipe swap weekly.
Share anything that you think we might all enjoy for any night.
Today I got a Farmers Market Box from our local farm. It's beautiful. I get one weekly and then plan my meal around it. Filled fresh herbs and fruits!
I'm serving with a side of zucchini and who knows what else.

What's everyone eating today, want share recipes?

Cod Oreganata...Easy!

INGREDIENTS:
24 ounces cod fillets
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped parsley
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

DIRECTIONS: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

Place the cod on the prepared baking shee. Combine the bread crumbs, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, salt and oregano in a bowl, using your fingertips to mix so the crumbs are thoroughly moistened with the oil.

Press the mixture lightly on top of the fish. Bake 10 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

melly2210 responded:
Heyas Chrissy...

You asked so here I am! I think I like it here! Should have told us sooner. You know were prolific posters. LOL

Cajun Shrimp Pasta

1 lb raw peeled and deveined shrimp
4 tbsp of minced garlic (i use the jarred in water)
5 tbsp Olive oil
4 tbsp butter or margarine
1 Jar of your favorite Alfredo Sauce
2 oz white cooking wine
Cajun or blackening seasoning.
Black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
1 lb of pasta (angel hair or vermicelli works best)

Prepare pasta as directed. Do not rinse. Melt butter and olive oil in frying pan. Once hot, add garlic. Stir for about a minute. Add the shrimp. Sprinkle a small amount of cajun seasoning. Cook until shrimp turns pink. Add cooking wine and let cook off (about 2 minutes). Add alfredo sauce to pan and heat thoroughly. Add cajun seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Add pasta and toss. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

serabobera responded:
I made this last night and it was delicious! I took a Food and Health class this last term and the instructor is a "flexitarian" so I heard a lot about the benefits of a mostly plant based diet. This recipe is vegan but don't let that scare you! It was easy and yummy!

Ingredients (1-2 servings)
  • 1 serving (3oz) spaghetti
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, dry toasted
  • 1/2 cup 1-2 tbsp medium heat salsa
  • 1.5-2 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
  • 2-2.5 tbsp nutritional yeast (gives it a creaminess)
  • 1-1.5 tbsp ketchup
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • Pinch red pepper flakes
  • 1/4-1/2 cup chopped red pepper (optional)
  • 1/2 cup spinach
  • 1/3 cup cooked lentils
Instructions
  • 1.Cook 1 serving of pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, grab a small pot and turn heat to medium. Add chopped walnuts to dry pot and lightly toast for a few minutes, being careful not to burn.
  • 2. After toasting the walnuts, add in the rest of the ingredients (except for the spinach), to taste. Be careful as the walnuts will sizzle and may splatter when you add in the salsa. Stir well and heat on medium-low for another 7-8 minutes.
  • 3. Place spinach in a colander and rinse. When pasta is cooked, remove from heat and pour onto the colander (with the spinach in it) and rinse lightly. Drain and then add the spinach and pasta into the pot. Now pour the sauce into the pasta and spinach and stir well. Season to taste and adjust flavors if necessary. Makes 1 large serving or 2 small servings.
copied from http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6002016

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
These all sound delish! Thank you. I made the cod last night and I bought some tilopia as well and prepared it the same way. It really was so good and so easy to make.
Thank you for sharing!
Chrissy~

Virginia Woolf

totallywiggedout responded:
About this time of year, some of you may be wondering what the heck to do with ALL THAT ZUCCHINI.... so , here's a good dessert bread for ya'.

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

1 1/2 C sugar
1/2 C margarine or butter, softened
1/4 C Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Large eggs
2 1/2 C All purpose flour
1/4 C Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp baking Soda
1/2 C Buttermilk ( or 1/2 C milk with 1 Tblsp vinegar to sour it)
2 C Unpeeled , shredded zucchini
1/2 to 1 C mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 deg. Lightly grease a 13x9 pan

In lg bowl, combine Sugar, Margarine/butter, Oil, Vanilla, and Eggs. Beat well.
Add Flour, Cocoa, Baking Soda, Cinnamon and Buttermilk. Blend well.
Fold in Zucchini and Chocolate Chips till well incorporated.
Using Rubber Spatula, scrape mixture into prepared baking pan and smooth to level.
Bake 35-40 min, Depending on how your oven bakes Chk at 35 min then at 2 min intervals till knife inserted into center comes out clean.
DO NOT OVERBAKE!!!! This recipe acts like muffins, it continues to bake/set up for a couple of min AFTER removal from oven.
When completely cooled, cover or wrap tightly, This cake will stay moist and in fact get MORE moist for about 4 days.

melly2210 responded:
This one is yummy and not low in calories, but it's a wonderful change. I haven't developed a name for it, but here it is. A succulent chicken dish:

Honey Mustard Marinade
1/2 cup Dijon Mustard
1/2 cup honey
1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups sliced mushrooms (10 to 12 mushrooms)
2 tablespoons butter
1 salt
1 pepper
1 paprika
8 slices bacon, cooked
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley

1. Use an electric mixer to combine the Dijon mustard, honey, 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Whip the mixture for about 30 seconds.

2. Pour about two-thirds of the marinade over the chicken breasts and marinate them, covered, in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. Chill the remaining marinade until later.

3. After the chicken has marinated, preheat the oven to 375 F and heat up an ovenproof frying pan large enough to hold all four breasts and 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. (if you do not have an ovenproof skillet, transfer the chicken to a baking dish for baking.) Sear the chicken in the pan for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove the pan from the heat, but keep the chicken in the pan.

4. As the chicken is cooking, in a small frying pan saute the sliced mushrooms in butter.

5. Brush each seared chicken breast with a little of the reserved honey mustard marinade (not the portion that the chicken soaked in), being sure to save a little extra you can serve on the side later with the dish.

6. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and dash of paprika.

7. Stack two pieces of cooked bacon, crosswise, on each chiken breasts.

8. Spoon the sauteed mushrooms onto the bacon, being sure to coat each breast evenly.

9. Spread 1/4 cup of Monterey Jack cheese onto each breast followed by 1/4 cup of Cheddar.

10. Bake the pan of prepared chicken breasts 7 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is thoroughly melted and starting to bubble.

11. Sprinkle each chicken breast with 1/2 teaspoon parsley before serving. Put extra honey mustard marinade into a small bowl to serve on the side. [br> [br>

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to melly2210's response:
OMG sounds delish. I'm printing this as I type.
Thank you all for sharing!
This week is Italian recipes, if you have one, please bring it on!
Chrissy~

Virginia Woolf

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 89 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.