Skip to content

Announcements

Weekly Recipe Swap - July 2, 2012 - Red, White and Blue
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
If food, fun and fireworks are part of your celebration this week, share a red, white and/or blue recipe for a festive 4th of July!

Watermelon, Blueberry, Feta Salad
Bite-sized cubed watermelon
Blueberries
Grape tomatoes - halved
Feta cheese crumbles
Thinly sliced red onion
Arugula
Balsamic vinaigrette or Balsamic glaze (my preference)
Salt and pepper

Do you have a 4th favorite? Share your plans for celebrating!
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

theskinnychef responded:
For my husband and me, it's all about grilling - so, pretty traditional. Yet, we also like to stay on the healthier side, so we cook with turkey meat instead of the regular ground beef.

rohvannyn replied to theskinnychef's response:
We had lots of fruit! If I were going to a potluck I'd probably mix a bunch of fruit together for a summery salad. Colorful fruits. Mixed cubed melon (mostly cantaloupe and similar melons, watermelon would be too squishy), apple, pineapple, blueberries, cut up strawberries. Other things to add are mandarin orange slices, fresh or canned, or maybe a little coconut for texture, adjusted of course for personal taste and allergies.

Tie it all together with some vanilla yogurt (brown cow is great) as a dressing and just a little dried mint mixed in and sprinkled on top.

Most of my recipes are like this, throw things together that look and taste good, adjusted as you like.

rohvannyn responded:
Oh, by the way... if you can get it, ground chicken is great for grilling. I like the mixed white and dark meat. The stuff I get is lower in fat and very nice and flavorful, great for burgers.

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 87 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.