Skip to content

Announcements

Cozy in the Kitchen - Do you like to cook with your other half?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
While Chrissy is getting cozy on vacation with her other half, she wanted us to talk about cooking with your other half.

Do you enjoy cooking with your other half? Do you have a favorite recipe you like to create together?

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To eat is a necessity, to eat intelligently is an art.~ La Rochefoucauld

Tomato05 responded:
Goodness no, I wouldn't want him in the kitchen near me! No offence, but we have totally different work approaches - he is very thorough, but very slow, quite perfectionistic. Every piece of veg would have to be cut in symmetry!

Besides, he likes to eat extremely low-fat; when he's not around at least I can sneak in a little bit of frying (not a lot, I don't like fat too much either) e.g. frying garlic or onions for a recipe, which he would frown upon if he saw. And he would probably just cook pasta! I try to stay away from the starchy carbs until I've lost my excess weight.

rohvannyn replied to Tomato05's response:
I don't like cooking with other people in the kitchen unless the separate tasks are well defined so we each know what we are doing. I need enough room to work, as well. I always get stuck with these tiny galley style kitchens with no room!

I do like cooking when we both have seperate dishes to work on, or something that we are doing that we are good at. Like, I squeeze the limes for the ceviche, but she does the chopping, or I do the potatoes and she does the roast.

annierules responded:
I would never want him to join me for the cooking. I will have much less fun to spend time explaining the cooking process anyway...

Tomato05 replied to annierules's response:
I agree, annierules. I would have to explain all the time why I do this and that, as I would be questioned, no doubt.

butterflygarden responded:
LOL. That's funny.

I like my husband at the grill and far away from the kitchen. He takes up more room cooking than is sane. When he tries to "help" he just ends up getting on my nerves.

I don't mind if he wants to sit at the bar and talk to me while I cook.

On the other hand, I love sharing the kitchen with my mom and my sisters. There's always a lot of laughing and delicious results!

Butterfly

ariannasmommy1125 responded:
I love cooking with my boyfriend. We definitely both have our owns tasks though. If we are making breakfast together I will make the pancakes and hashbrowns while he handles cooking the bacon or sausage and eggs.

katlaroc responded:
My husband and I have found great ways to cook together, basically by ensuring that we are each playing to our strengths, I am basically head chef and he is sous chef! He does the things that I don't enjoy and find time consuming, like the chop and prep.
He takes instruction well and asks good questions. It is our time together in the evening, after we put our 2 year old to bed. I do plan and coordinate everything and give him direction...it works for us! I do need to "ignore" the way that he does things because he is really slow and (as typically I've found with men) he cannot multitask at all! He will literally stand over the pot of pasta and wait for it to finish boiling for 10 minutes rather than go do something else until it finishes!
I do completely understand how a lot of people would have a difficult time working with their significant other in the kitchen. It's pretty intimate and if you don't work really well together it just isn't worth the potential for conflict!

Jmunos replied to Tomato05's response:
I know what your talking about.sometimes its not a good thing have them in the kitchen. I rather them on the couch relaxing if I am cooking. Becuz he will be critizing everything i am doing and driving me mad.

Helpful Tips

Why cook the sweet potato?
I purchased a juicer and was surprised that they recommended juicing your sweet potato. What the heck, I thought. I did it and I've been ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 17 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.