Skip to content

Announcements

Country Themed Food
jolaspc posted:
I am celebrating my birthday soon and decided to go with a country-themed celebration as me and my friends traditionally have themes during birthday celebrations. I will be hosting it by a lakeside and I'm at a loss of what to cook for that day. Any ideas and suggestions?

totallywiggedout responded:
First off, if you don't have one yourself, find a friend that has an icecream maker. There is NOTHING that says country more than fresh homemade vanilla bean icecream and some very chunky, sweet berry toppings or homemade hot fudge sauce.
Then , obviously, on to the grill girl! Corn on the cob, stripped down basked in butter and ital seasonings then rewrapped in their husks and soaked in water till cooking time, veggie kabobs or just thickly sliced veggies to roast on the fire, BBQ chicken or pulled pork for sandwiches or out of hand eating, Caveman pops (roast turkey drumsticks) are always good too and can be precooked then reheated on the fire at the party--check out www.thepioneerwoman.com for her Caveman Pop recipe, it's really good.
;Dont forget LOTS and LOTS of very sweet iced tea and lemonade, and some qt jars to serve it into.
Then, later after sundown, a campfire with s'mores. Always a good country type choice.
AH! and.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

rohvannyn responded:
I was going to think of all kinds of ideas but all the great stuff was thought of! The only thing I can add is to get the biggest watermelon you can find. Carve it up as part of the party. It's fun to dig into a great big hug watermelon and serve oddly shaped chunks for everyone to dig into. Then the kids and the guys can have fun spitting melon seeds, too.

jolaspc replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks TotallyWiggedOut ! I absolutely love your ideas!

jolaspc replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thank you! I like your idea of spitting melon seeds!

Helpful Tips

Tuesday's Kitchen Tips - Sharpen Your Knives For Less Tears
If you find yourself tearing up while cutting onions, try sharpening your knives. The oils released by a dull knife trying to get ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.