Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Recipe Swap: Something's Fishy!
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
Let's cook fish, from a clam bake to a fish fry!
Well it doesn't have to be clams but I sure do eat more fish it seems in the summer. So many ways to prepare fish. What's your best fish recipe?
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

SoCalSuz responded:
Hi Chrissy!

I have started observing "Meatless Monday" so we are trying lots of different fish recipes.

So far, the one that was the biggest hit with my meat-loving husband and picky daughters was panko coated tilapia.

I don't really follow a recipe but here's what I do to get it on the table:

Rinse and pat dry talipia fillets

Heat oven to 375

Melt butter and add a little fresh lemon juice.

Mix a cup of unseasoned panko, a dash or two of Old Bay Seasoning.

Dip filets in butter mixture, roll in the panko mixture.

Place in lightly greased pan, bake 12-14 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.

YUM!!!!

Suz

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to SoCalSuz's response:
Thank you Suz, that sounds perfect!

Last night my daughter and her boyfriend went to his famlies boat. Sat on the dock and must have caught 30 crabs for a late night summer snack. Brought them to my house.
I boiled water with garlic and old bay seasoning. A bit of beer. Boiled the crabs for around 15 minutes and then cleaned them.
Take the shell off, cut or break cooked crab right in half and clean them out inside and out. The rest left is delish, claws too!
Chrissy~

Virginia Woolf

EleanorAnne responded:
This one is easy, easy, easy!

Parmesan Salmon

Few shakes of seasoned salt
1 Tbsp flour
1 lb of Salmon, skin removed, 4 pieces
Toss together to coat in zip loc bag

2 Tbsp light mayo
1/2 c. shredded Parmesan Cheese
Spread 1 Tbsp mayo over 4 pieces of salmon and then press 1/4 c. of the cheese into mayo.

Heat saute pan and place fish mayo side down in pan. Coat top of fish with rest of mayo and cheese.

Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes on each side. Yum!

Ellie

rohvannyn replied to EleanorAnne's response:
We take shrimp, raw, peeled and deveined, and soak it in fresh squeezed lime juice for several hours until it is white, firm and chemically cooked. We add cut up tomatoes, cut up peppers, chopped onion of varying kinds, lots of chopped cilantro, spicy v-8 juice, and whatever compatable vegetables you want. It keeps well in the fridge, requires no heat, and makes a good cold soup. You can find more info by Googling "ceviche."

Another thing I like to do is to steam fish on a bed of baby bok choy with lots of lemon, lemon pepper, garlic, and a hint of butter. You can do this over rice too in a baking dish and it soaks up all the tasty fish juices.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to rohvannyn's response:
These sound wonderful, thank you so much for sharing!! I'm inspired by you all! Yummm!
Chrissy~

Virginia Woolf

skypper responded:
I've been making fish tacos at least twice a week this summer, here's what I've got!

Ingredients:
  • Tilapia fillets or salmon filet
  • Mayonnaise
  • Granulated garlic
  • Italian spices,
  • Paprika
  • Pepper
  • Sea salt
  • Red tomatoes
  • Cilantro
  • Cabbage
  • Lemons
  • Sour cream
  • Corn tortillas

Preheat broiler to 500 degrees.

In a small bowl combine some mayo (about 1/4 to a half cup) mix in granulated garlic, italian spices, paprika, pepper and a dash of sea salt, mix well.

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil )makes for easy clean-up) Using a brush or spatula, coat tops only of fish, I use either tilapia filets or salmon.

Place into pre-heated oven on lower shelf and broil for approx 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes apart with a fork.

While fish is cooking, dice some red tomatoes, cabbage and cilantro and cut a lemon into slices.

Once fish is cooked chop into smaller pieces, warm corn tortillas on a hot skillet, spread a spoonful of sour cream (I use mexican cream) add fish and topping that you have already chopped and enjoy!

lissmeanstrouble responded:
I like to coat catfish fillets in cornmeal and lemon pepper and fry it in a pan with oil, simple and tasty!
We've caught sooo many trout, and I cant find a way I like them, at the restaurant they grill them, but Im not sure how to do that with out them falling apart.

limey108 replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
No, no, no, Chris! I'm from Maryland and Marylanders know NEVER to boil crabs, only steam. Boiling makes them soggy.

An_245796 replied to skypper's response:
That sounds good! have you ever tried it with Mahi-Mahi or greek yogurt in Mayonnaise's place?

butterflygarden responded:

Spicy Grilled Grouper

This is a super simple recipe, but we have it all the time at my house.

Place grouper fillets on a sheet of aluminum foil that can be folded in a way to hold in juice.

Squeeze juice of one whole lime over the fillets.

Place two pats of butter or butter substitute on each fillet.

Sprinkle liberally with Cajun seasoning. (I prefer Tony Chachere's.)

Sprinkle with chopped jalapeno or red chili peppers to taste.

Sprinkle with whole cilantro leaves (optional).

Place on grill until fish is flaky. (About 10 minutes, but check after 5)

Butterfly

butterflygarden replied to skypper's response:
Those sound YUMMMMMM!

Thanks, skypper. Going to try that recipe this coming weekend.

Butterfly

butterflygarden responded:
Just saw this recipe on WebMD's Facebook page. (Yep, I'm a stalker.)

Shrimp Veracruzana
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/shrimp-veracruzana?ecd=soc_fb_082112-noon_recipe_shrimpveracruzana

It's not even lunch time, and I've made myself hungry.

Butterfly

skypper replied to An_245796's response:
not at home, but i have hd fish tacos with mahi mahi and they were delicious. also I do believe the greek yogurt would work well as a substitution.

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.