Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Going Camping!
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
My family goes camping once a year. So much fun and lots of grilling! Do you have a recipe to share that makes for good and easy cooking at a campsite?
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Let me share first that this is really the ONLY time my husband cooks, so although it's not the vacation I'd pick, I at least get him to cook for us all. I do get other great vacations, but this is really my husband and kids thing! I need room service and a bed, but I'm picky that way.

So he makes these "camping potatoes" every time we go and throughout the summer on the grill.
Cut up potatoes in a small bites. put them in a double layered tin foil wrap. Drizzle with oil, we use olive oil. Cover with a little garlic powder or garlic salt and any herbs you love. We use rosemary and parsley and oregano, or whatever is around. Place directly on the grill until tender, about 35 minutes. Everyone gets their own tin foil pack. Sometimes he adds hotdogs or bacon to the mix. Delish!
Chrissy~

Virginia Woolf

EleanorAnne responded:
I haven't been camping since my Girl Scout days which brings back memories of Egg in a Nest.

Cut a hole in a piece of bread.
Butter it and put it in a pan over fire.
Crack an egg in the hole.
Cook until egg is done.

What I don't remember is taking a cooler with us. How did we keep the eggs safe???

Ellie

rohvannyn replied to EleanorAnne's response:
Eggs don't go bad too quickly when still in the shell, the membrane helps protect them a bit. It's when eggs are cracked that they turn right away. There are egg protectors that are hard sided for campers, I wouldn't mind getting a few of those.

Camping recipes: I boiled eggs once in a pot of soup over the fire. When living rough a few years back one of the things we had a lot was mixed bean soup, that took hours to cook but we needed the fire for heat anyway. We cooked it down nice and thick so it could be eaten easily and not slop. I've also made pancakes over the fire. You can basically cook anything over a fire that you can cook over a burner, and if you have a Dutch oven you can bake too. Tasty!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

butterflygarden responded:
Good old fashioned hoe cakes are a favorite for camping! And, if you have a cast iron griddle you can make it over the fire, on the camp stove or grill.

1 cup self-rising white or yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour (use either plain or self-rising depending on how fluffy you want them)
2 eggs
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 - 1 cup lowfat milk or buttermilk (start with 3/4 and add more if it's still too thick)
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

I use Crisco buttery cooking spray to prep the pan for frying the cakes, but you can use whatever you like.

I like to top the hoe cakes with fresh strawberries or bananas. You can also just spread them with your favorite preserves. YUM.

If you try them, let me know what you think.

Butterfly

rohvannyn replied to butterflygarden's response:
Another thing I loved to do when camping (and when I still ate grain) is mix up biscuit dough nice and thick and wrap it around a hot dog or sausage on a stick and cook that over the fire. Pig in blanket. You have to have a biscuit dough that is thick and sticky and not too heavily applied. A mix of flour, baking powder, nonfat dried milk, salt, and enough water to make it mix will work.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

elmogeo responded:
On our family camping trips my dad used to make camp pizzas on the fire with a pre-made Boboli crust and whatever toppings we wanted. If you get the small ones everyone can have their own combo! We would usually just toss them on the grill over the campfire.

For breakfast my mom would make Omelettes in a Bag. Everyone takes a Ziploc bag, cracks however many eggs they want inside, and adds any mix-ins (onions, cheese, mushrooms, sausage, etc) that we pre-cut at home. Then you mix it up and toss the bags in a pot of boiling water on the camp stove. They slip right out of the bag and cleanup is so easy! Plus, like the pizzas, everyone can customize their own. If you get the write-on bags you can even label them with Sharpie so everyone gets the correct one.

For dessert - apple pie on a stick. Put an apple on a marshmallow stick, then roast over the fire until the skin is puckered and the apple is soft. Then slice it up in a bowl, sprinkle with a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar, and stir so that the sugar melts. Delicious!

Of course, we had our fair share of tuna noodle (ramen noodles and canned tuna!), beans and rice, and jerky and cracker dinners...not every night was a gourmet camp meal!

CCoombs responded:
We use disposable tins (about 3X4 for baking), fill them with baked beans and chicken (thinly sliced is fastest, but any chicken will do), put this over the fire while you are setting up camp, and it is a great dinner. Now I would have to switch to regular red beans and add seasoning, since bbq sauce is so full of sugar, but it's a nice, easy dinner, and everyone gets their own tin foil plate. No clean-up! Just the forks or spoons.

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to CCoombs's response:
Hi CC, I love this idea, thank you for sharing! Wonderful. We may go camping again in Sept. I'm going to use this.
Sounds easy and delish!
Thank you!
Chrissy~

Virginia Woolf

butterflygarden replied to elmogeo's response:
I really want to try the omelettes in a bag idea! I bet my teen son would get a big kick out of doing that, camping or not!

Butterfly

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 40 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.