Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Foods that cause Gout
Sondayiii posted:
I want to know what foods cause gout to flare up. I need to know what nnot to eat so my gout doesn't return. I would appreciate and input. Thankyou.

totallywiggedout responded:
OOOOOOH I KNOW this one!
My ex father in law used to get gout so bad that my then husband had to go live with his parents when his dad got a flareup in order to carry him in and out of the bed room, bathroom etc. He got it very bad and was put on some meds that helped a little, then was told to eat differently.
Foods that are high in acids, tomatoes, peppers, oranges, orange juice..... all very likely to bring on an attack
Pickled foods like olives, pickled beets, pickled eggs and even pigs feet, stuff like this brings on gout. vinegar in the pickling acting as the acid.
These were foods that he ate in abundance. He loved his tomatoes. But as soon as he stopped eating high acid foods he no longer had to take the meds and never again had a gout attack.
hope this helps
K

erice_ma responded:
Generally, it is recommended that you avoid rich foods (not acid foods). Generally, fatty foods should be limited. More specifically foods that are high in purines such as meat. There's a good comprehensive article here: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gout-diet/MY01137/METHOD=print

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
I did a search for you here on WebMD. Here is a slide show that maybe very helpful for you.
Gout: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments of Gout

Also our Arthritis and Gout Health Center has information as well.
I hope that helps.
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
65 of 82 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.