Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Recipe Swap: Oh September Apples
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
Here comes the fall, with it's abundance of apples!
Do you have a favorite pie or light dessert with apples you can share?

I love baked apples.

4 large good baking apples, such as Rome Beauty, Golden Delicious, or Jonagold

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup currants or chopped raisins
1 Tbsp butter
3/4 cup boiling water

1. Preheat oven to 375?F. Wash apples. Remove cores to 1/2 inch of the bottom of the apples. It helps if you have an apple corer, but if not, you can use a paring knife to cut out first the stem area, and then the core. Use a spoon to dig out the seeds. Make the holes about 3/4-inch to an inch wide.

2. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, currants/raisins, and pecans. Place apples in a 8-inch-by-8-inch square baking pan. Stuff each apple with this mixture. Top with a dot of butter (1/4 of the Tbps).

3. Add boiling water to the baking pan. Bake 30-40 minutes, until tender, but not mushy. Remove from the oven and baste the apples several times with the pan juices.
*Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or better yet, frozen low fat yogurt on the side.
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

butterflygarden responded:
That sounds yummy, Chris.

I'll have to dig out some of my apple recipes, but the one thing I can recommend for a warm, filling Fall breakfast is adding fresh apples to your homemade oatmeal.

If you've never made homemade oatmeal, it takes 5 minutes in the microwave.

1/2 cup Old-fashioned oats
1 cup water

Mix in a shallow bowl. (Bowls with high sides tend to boil over and make a mess)

Place in microwave on medium for five minutes.

Let sit 30 seconds. Remove from microwave.

Add your favorite toppings. Here's what I like:

1/4 c. chopped fresh granny smith apples without skin
1/8 c. chopped walnuts
1 tsp. Smart Balance olive oil spread
1/2 tsp brown sugar

Eat and enjoy!

Butterfly

Helpful Tips

Divinely Delicious Lasagna - Low Fat, too!
I made this up, so you can do whatever you'd like with this. WARNING: You may end up making 2 dishes like I did. But, that's fine, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.