Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

who taught me to cook?
carolsdoubt posted:
I have been cooking since I was 4. Mother was hospitalized and father could only cook fish he caught. So with the wooden coke case turned up in front of the stove,I became the cook for weeks. Every year for some weeks I was the cook.My Grandmother found out and taught me how to do a lot. I loved Julia Childs, Justin and some I do not even know their names. I have recipes that include some 1920's era. Grandmother cooked for some of the wealthier families in town and she always said serve it so it looks good and taste good. I still like cooking shows and watch them old and new. Emeril is my new fave, he has some new ideas for food I like try.

An_247623 responded:
Watching my mother started me off. But, I wanted to learn different recipes. That's when I learned through reading cook books and experimenting, Later on health concerns redirected me and I concentrated on more nutritious menus.

rohvannyn responded:
When I was a kid both my parents cooked but they had their specialties. It was a team effort. My mom did the frying and casseroles. Being blind, my dad did things having to do with roasing meat or stuffing fowl or anything like that, that could be done entirely by touch. I always felt bad that he had to do the butchering of the chickens and such, but my mom was way too squeamish and I was too young. And too squamish. I didn't get over that till my twenties. My mom did the pies and cakes and brownies, my dad did the breads and noodles and hard boiled eggs. My mom told him the temparature but he always got the hot stuff out of the oven for her.

I learned by watching them and by reading cookbooks, learning somewhat organically to have a rather intuitive cooking style. I hardly ever use recipes unless there is a specific chemical reaction I need, or a particular flavor I am trying to duplicate. Recipe books are good for inspiration!

My own little family is the same way. My spouse handles roasts and stir fry, I do the bread and pies and anything fiddly. We both do soups. I make my spouse handle the butchering and stuffing though I've done a little of that too. I've learned more by doing than by anyone showing me anything, and that mostly from books.

My dream is to someday learn how to stretch phyllo and strudel dough, even though I've mostly given up grain. That's almost a lost art!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

butterflygarden replied to rohvannyn's response:
My grandmother taught me to cook. She was a down-home Southern cook, and most of her food came right out of the family's huge summer garden.

She was always so patient with me, and overflowing with praise. Just what a kid needs to instill a love of something.

I wish I had more of her recipes. My mom and some other family members are trying to pull more of them together from all sorts of places.

Butterfly

SoCalSuz responded:
No one

Unfortunately, my mom was not interested in food preparation at all. My dad grilled but didn't share his skill with my brother and I.

As a result, my brother and I both married "foodies" that rock it out in the kitchen. We've made sure that our kids are exposed to cooking so they don't end up like us!

Interestingly, although I can barely boil water, I'm obsessed with the food network show "Chopped" and "Cupcake Wars"!

S

totallywiggedout replied to SoCalSuz's response:
LOL, SoCalSuz. Your obsession with food network..... Those who can, do and those that can't , watch! But I can and still watch both those shows too. There's something about food competitions that DON'T necessarily lead to eating that draws me.
kim

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Ha!
I love chopped on The Food Network!
I consider myself a foodie. I eat almost everything, I cook, I love to food shop.
Yet, these judges amaze me, they will eat and try anything. I don't think I could ever be a judge on that show. Some of the food and combinations prepared, I just don't think I can bring to my mouth.

The chefs are amazing. I often wonder what kind of personality you have to have to subject yourself to such competition. I love watching it!
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 81 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.