Skip to content

Announcements

Stepson with celiac disease, gluten free ideas??
lissmeanstrouble posted:
I just figured out my step-son has celiacs disease, his daddy, my fiance neglected to tell me that the first few times I met the child.

I started getting really concerned because I noticed he was having alot of tummy aches, asked his mom when we did the weekend swap, and she said he needs a gluten free diet cause he has celiacs disease.

Poor kid loves pop tarts, but he has to poop about twenty minutes after eating them, and I had to convince his dad, that its not just a tummy ache, its permanent damage to his intestines being caused by the gluten, so we really need to avoid it when he is staying with us!

He is almost 12 years old, so he knows he is not supposed to eat that stuff, he maybe even should have spoke up about it, but he was shy and didnt wanna confide in me about it, which is fine, I can understand that, he is getting more comfortable around me which is nice

I am going grocery shopping this weekend, and we will have him this weekend, so I need ideas of what to buy, I am really new to this (mom thing- no kids of my own, now I have a 12 year old), I have been searching this site for recipes, and nothing sounds like something he would like to eat, he is kind of a picky eater, what kid isnt a picky eater?

We are going camping, and I hate for him to have to run to go have diarrhea camping, there is no bathroom in the woods! Course he thinks its funny, but Id rather not have him sick.

I have an apple tree in the back yard that is riping up, I figure we can bring some apples, and yogurt cups, and I always have bought him granola bars but he never eats them, maybe I should tell him he HAS to eat granola instead of pop tarts, not give him a choice... stop buying pop tarts so he is not tempted...

I read that alot of sauces and stuff have hidden gluten, and anything with malt contains gluten, we find things at the store that sound gluten-free except for a malt ingredient, is it true?

I dont wanna be a controlling step mother, but I do want the child to feel healthy, he is such a skinny little thing, I worry about him.

erice_ma responded:
You are correct that products that include "malt" or variants of malt are generally excluded from the diet of someone with Celiac due to gluten content. Remember that it is not just wheat and products of wheat which are a concern, but also rye and barley and products of those grains. Malt is usually a product of barley.

Oats are usually also forbidden by most people with Celiac, mostly because of cross-contamination. So, if you were to choose granola, you would have to look for a gluten free granola (or make your own from gluten free oats).

Sauces and many foods with long lists of ingredients are likely to have trace amounts of gluten. However, there are a lot of products on the market now which are certified gluten free. They are often in the "health" section of grocery stores or shelves.

Buckwheat (not a form of wheat) is a safe grain and makes excellent pancakes and waffles.

There are several terrific lists available with what is safe/not safe to eat. Try these sites:
National Foundation for Celiac Awareness - http://www.celiaccentral.org/Gluten-Free-Food/the-gluten-free-diet/
Celiac Sprue Association - http://www.csaceliacs.info/label_reading_101.jsp
Celiac.com - http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html

All of those sites have gluten free recipe suggestions and some have shopping guides as well.

Since he is a picky eater, it is important to talk to him about what he eats. No suggestions will be useful if he won't eat it.

You said, "maybe I should tell him he HAS to eat granola instead of pop tarts, not give him a choice." It is better to give him choices, but choices of foods he can eat. So, yes, do not buy the Pop-Tarts. But don't tell him he has to eat FOOD A. Rather than dwelling on his restrictions, talk to him about his choices. Chances are he doesn't really want to talk about what he can't have. And if it is something he likes, might not even admit that it causes problems. Talk to him about what he likes/wants. When it is something you know he can't have rather than tell him he can't have that, just move on ... "and what else do you like?"

prdgrndmomof3 responded:
I have had celiac disease x 11 yrs now...so much easier than it was then...so many more choices...Whole foods has a wonderful selection such as cereals, english muffins breads donuts pizza etc.
Some major supers are starting to get gluten free products however they have a long way to go...Betty Crocker also has cake mixes, brownies and choc chip cookies which are excellent! ( I roll the cookie dough in small balls before baking and they turn out perfect)! But I also found specialty stores (you will have to search your area) have great products. Bisquick has come out with a gluten free baking flour which is great! Go on line and get great recipes ( I love the apple pie). There are many products which are naturally gluten free, fruits, veggies and meats. You need to go online and search what ingredients are acceptable and learn to read the ingredient label on everything. It may be hard at first but you and he will get used to reading labels.. many labels now how bold print at the bottom that tells the consumer if gluten is in product...watch for envelopes (such as gravy, sloppy joe mix)
etc...they have hidden gluten that people do not think of. Also beware of higher fat content...these foods are bulked up with added products to make foods taste better...but it sounds as though this young child could benefit from this...I too was very thin when I started this diet (people thought I had anorexia)...I have gained 45 lbs and needed it...Good luck and I hope he feels better!

prdgrndmomof3 replied to prdgrndmomof3's response:
P.S. He will need to experiment with different products as far as taste goes...there are some products I can't even swallow...but I did find many products that are absolutely delicious...

kates1108 responded:
Hi!
My first word of advice: skip the granola bars! They are not typically gluten free (unless specifically noted on the package). In the beginning, getting used to a GF diet can be annoying because the only way to really steer clear of gluten is to read the package. A person with Celiac Disease must not eat: wheat, oat, barley or rye. And these ingredients are often hiding in foods you wouldn't expect, like soy sauce, for example. Many grocery stores have organic sections now which provide specifically noted GF foods, including snacks for kids. It may help to visit the Customer Service Counter at your grocery store and speak to the Manager about your need for GF foods; he/she may be able to direct you. I don't know if you have Whole Foods in your area- but they have tons of GF options. Additionally, Chex cereal and Cheerios are gluten free Those are great kiddo snacks/breakfasts.
Good luck--the little guy is lucky to have a Stepmom who cares about him so much.

bandmomma5 replied to kates1108's response:
Many supermarkets now have Registered Dietitians on staff. Seek out a supermarket with an RD. They will be able to guide you and the service is free.

lissmeanstrouble replied to bandmomma5's response:
Aww thanks so much for your advice! Me and my fiance have been really sticking our heads together making our shopping lists, so we buy a nice variety of gluten free foods, along with things for ourselves, but we avoid buying things he will maybe feel left out if we have and he cant have.
It is hard, my fiance is a good man, he just has ideas in his head, and needs to be re-educated So I think the boy is lucky his dad found me so we can work on bulking him up a bit!

bubbles2693 responded:
My husban has Celiac's disease. He was first diagnosed 4 years ago. It is a life style. It requires lots & lots of label reading! As others commented, the GF products have come a long way! Our local Walmart has a GF specific product area. Wegman's also has a GF food area and the Wegman brand foods that are GF are clearly marked. One thing that helped me out the most with grocery shopping when he was diagnosed is a book called "Gluten-Free Grocery Shopping Guide", It lists food items and then various brands of that item that are GF. I took it shopping with me weekly for a long time. You can find it at www.ceceliasmarketplace.com . I have researched food items online for their GF status. I have even called the manufacturer's toll-free number at the grocery store to ask them! Be aware of hidden gluten in many items. Many that I never thought of because they were not the obvious bread, pasta items. Salad dressing is one that I never would have thought of. But any foods that would have flour thickener in it would contain gluten. Many restaurants now offer GF menus. You will need to ask for them. Everyone's level of Celiac's will vary. Some people cannot tolerate any gluten at all eeven cross contamination. Be cautious when using peanut butter, butters, etc as to not leave bread crumbs in the container. Some people even need to use their own designated toaster or have their own jars of peanut butter, etc. Look in your area for a local celiac's support group. It was a big help to us when he was first diagnosed.
Chex cereal brand has many types that are gluten free. Fresh fruits, vegies, salads are good options.
Search the internet for ingredients, recipes, suggestions and label read, label read & label read! Good luck!

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 89 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.