Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Recipe Swap: Oh Yes, It's Mushroom Month!
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
It's national mushroom month, who knew? Let's celebrate by sharing our favorite mushroom recipes! How do you use mushrooms?

I heart mushrooms!
I use in my turkey gravy.
I eat them on my pizza, I love them in my salad's and prepare risotto with them. Here is a favorite of mine!

Mushroom Risotto
Ingredients
6 cups chicken broth, divided
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 pound white mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 shallots, diced
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
sea salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
In a saucepan, warm the broth over low heat.
Warm 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the mushrooms, and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms and their liquid, and set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet, and stir in the shallots. Cook 1 minute. Add rice, stirring to coat with oil, about 2 minutes. When the rice has taken on a pale, golden color, pour in wine, stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed. Add 1/2 cup broth to the rice, and stir until the broth is absorbed. Continue adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove from heat, and stir in mushrooms with their liquid, butter, chives, and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

Tomato05 responded:
Oh dear, it seems like not many people have mushroom recipes they like to share, so I'll tell you about mine!

I'm not great with recipes - I make them sometimes, but usually I just cook very plain and simple food and just vary the veg, protein, herbs and spices.

Anyway, I like to make a mushroom soup occasionally. Not the creamy variety, but more of a mushroom broth, rather like the Asian style soups.

I use a variety of mushrooms, including less common types if I can find them: Swiss, enoki, shiitake, oyster mushrooms, portobello, cremini, etc. I boil them in a chicken stock and add whatever ingredients take my fancy on the day: cubed tofu, shrimps or sliced chicken breast, ginger, garlic, spring onion,sliced cabbage, chopped red pepper, parsley and cilantro, chilli, and add in some baby spinach just before serving.

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to Tomato05's response:
Yummmm! Delish, thank you for sharing.
I'm eating mushrooms in my salad as I type.

I'm glad, because after reading what you shared I would need to go get something good with mushrooms in it!

Thank you Tomato!
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
Had to pop in here - I am world famous for my "stuffed mushrooms"! And, as you know Chrissy, I am no cook so these are easy peasy.

Stuffed Mushrooms

Marinate large de-stemed shrooms in low fat Italian or balsamic dressing.

Mix flaked fresh crab, an egg, breadcrumbs, finely chopped onion and lemon juice.

Stuff into mushroom tops, sprinkle with more breadcrumbs, bake at 350 (I think?) till hot.

Delish and kind of "fancy"!

Haylen

Tomato05 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
The stuffed mushrooms sound nice, something I may try.

I forgot to say, I also add either fish sauce or soy sauce to my mushroom soup.

And I also like mushrooms in my salads. Especially enoki mushrooms are so beautiful and delicate.

butterflygarden replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Oh man! Those sound yummy. I'll need to share my stuff mushroom recipe as well. I don't really measure much for these, so hope I get it right.

Butterfly's Stuffed 'Shroomies

Wash medium-size portabella mushrooms and remove the stems (keep them). Place mushrooms on a baking pan that has been sprayed with olive oil cooking spray. (Good fat!)

In a small frying pan, brown about 1/2 - 3/4 lbs of low-fat chicken sausage. (If you have a Publix, you can buy the mild Italian Greenwise chicken sausage in the casings. Just squeeze it out.)

In a medium-size bowl mix:
Browned sausage
chopped mushroom stems
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons fat free cream cheese

When mixed, add Panko breadcrumbs until mixture can be formed for stuffing.

Stuff into caps. Bake in 400-degree oven for about 20 - 30 minutes. Check to see if browned.

Remove from oven, sprinkle with fresh shaved parmesan cheese and serve.

Let me know if you try it! I am definitely trying Haylen's recipe!

Butterfly

Helpful Tips

Gardening
Growing your own vegetables can be a great way to not only incorporate more fresh food into your diet but also get some exercise. Gardening ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.