Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Recipe Swap: In a Hurry?
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
What do you do when you are in a hurry for dinner? Have a great healthy meal you can quickly throw together?

I won't do the "drive through" thing even when I'm rushed, I can usually come up with something in a hurry, what do you do?
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

Tomato05 responded:
That's where the microwave oven becomes the star of the kitchen, plus emergency standbys like frozen veg and tinned food.

For example, I may cook some potatoes or sweet potatoes in the microwave oven: about 4 min each in the skin (just prick first), or chop up a few and boil in water in the microwave for 10 or 15 minutes. If you make them in the skin, chop once cooked and cool enough to handle.

While that is cooking I make a salad, just chopping lettuce and a few ingredients - basic things like tomato, onion, cucumber, celery, radishes and add alfalfa sprouts.

I then "cook" frozen veg for about 5 minutes, open a can of fish or chopped chicken , pour the fish over the chopped potatoes and sprinkle with parsley, drain the veg and lunch/dinner is ready. Can be done in 20 min., much quicker than driving to get a take-away, plus healthier, even if not terribly exciting.

If you keep some packets of brown rice (the cooked type that you just reheat for a few minutes) for emergencies you can speed it up even more and definitely be ready in 15 min.

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to Tomato05's response:
All great things to do to put a meal together Tomato! I love that brown rice in the microwavable bag, I really do.

I can saut? chicken with some veggies and serve that rice and I'm good! I get a farmers market veggie and fruit box every week, so from there I create something quick and easy.

One of the many reasons I love summer, sad to let it go, but we'll be sharing some cold weather comfort foods along the way!

Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

butterflygarden responded:
One of my go-tos when throwing together a quick meal is using leftover meats to create a salad that's a meal.

For instance, last night I chopped up romaine lettuce, colored bell peppers, and onions, then added slices of steak from a couple of nights ago that I had re-heated by sauteing. Once I mixed in all the meat and veggies, I shaved a little parmesan cheese over it.

You can get creative with any leftover meat you have, and sometimes toss in a little leftover pasta as well.

Butterfly

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 48 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.