Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Recipe Swap: It's Pumpkin Time!
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
What's your favorite recipe for all things pumpkin? I make muffins and pies and my husband can't get enough of the flavor.

What is your favorite way to use pumpkin?
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

true2lions responded:
I make pumpkin stew with cauflower in it

Tomato05 responded:
I usually just bake it and sprinkle with fresh cilantro (for the contrast in colour) or cinnamon.

Or I use cooled pumpkin cubes in salad, for example with baby spinach, cubes of feta and sunflower seeds (and maybe some finely chopped red pepper, just for the colour), and a bit of soy sauce/fish sauce.

butterflygarden responded:
OMGosh!

I love pumpkin season. Starbucks always has their Pumpkin Spice Latte, and then the creamers come out at the grocery story. My coffee addiction becomes so much yummier!

I love pumpkin everything: pies, cakes, muffins, bagels, cookies.

I'll have to scare up some of my pumpkin recipes, but here's a start:

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds --
When you carve your jack-o-lantern this year, save the seeds, wash all the gook off, sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake them in an oven or toaster oven at 400 degrees until they begin to brown slightly.

Let them cool, then serve them as a snack. Yummy and good for you. My kids LOVE them!

If you want them sweet instead of salty you can sprinkle with course raw sugar and cinnamon. Savory...sprinkle with creole or cajun seasoning.

Butterfly

butterflygarden replied to true2lions's response:
I bet pumpkin and cauliflower is good together. I never thought of that.

Thanks, true2lions!

Butterfly

butterflygarden replied to Tomato05's response:
Tomato, my mouth is watering just thinking of those ideas.

I am definitely cooking this weekend.

Butterfly

Kelley4321 responded:
Thinking about my Aunt Dor's Pumpkin Pie brings back many fun Thanksgiving memories from long ago. It's my favorite!

She did not have a recipe and I have not been able to duplicate it but I keep trying.

I just saw this recipe for Pumpkin Pot Pie on The Chew and can't wait to try it when the weather cools down.

For the Pot Pie:
1 12-pound pumpkin (or 6 small sugar pumpkins)
7 garlic cloves (sliced thinly)
1/2 cup flour
4 carrots (medium diced)
4 celery (medium diced)
2 cup pearl onions (frozen)
4 cup sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
10 sage leaves
2 bay leaf
4 cup swiss chard (chopped)
8 cup vegetable stock
2 cup heavy cream
5 tablespoons olive oil
5 tablespoons butter (divided)
salt and pepper to taste
1 store bought puff pastry
For the Egg Wash:
1 egg plus 1 tablespoon of milk (beaten)

Cut the top off the pumpkin(s) and scrape out the seeds and stringy bits. Rub inside with 1 tablespoon of softened butter then season the inside generously with salt and pepper. Place cut side up on a sheet tray and cover tightly with foil. Bake 45 minutes, or until flesh is tender. Remove and let cool.

Melt butter and oil in a large heavy bottomed pot. Add the carrots, celery and garlic and sweat for 5 minutes, just slightly browning the ingredients. Toss in the pearl onions and sweet potato. Add the thyme, nutmeg and sage. Stir the vegetables to coat and then sprinkle with the flour. Mix to combine.

Add the vegetable stock and bring up to a bowl. Add in the swiss chard and the bay leaf. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in the cream off the heat and adjust the seasoning. Roll out the puff pastry on parchment lined baking sheet and cut a face out of the dough (think jack-o-lantern). Brush entire dough with the egg wash mixture and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Working with the cooled pumpkin, ladle the soup into the pumpkin. Place baked pastry on top and serve.

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to Kelley4321's response:
Kelley, delish!! My husband would love this, I'll give it a try.
Thank you all for sharing. I just love it!
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

Olivia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Wanted to chime in since I love pumpkin, too!

Found this great recipe here at WebMD, and it was too good not to share:

Light and Easy Pumpkin Custard Pie

rohvannyn replied to Olivia_WebMD_Staff's response:
When I ate grain, I loved pumpkin empanadas. Basically a Mexican pocket pastry with a variety of fillings, and pumpkin is one of the best!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 39 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.