Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Creative Ways to Use Leftovers?
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
World Food Day, on Oct. 16, brings awareness of hunger around the world. And, here in the United States as well .

In honor of this observance and thinking about the ever-increasing cost of groceries, let's talk about ways to cut down on food waste.

What are some creative ways you have used leftovers in your house?

How do you avoid cooking too much?

Can't wait to hear your answers.

Olivia

mbartos responded:
If I'm baking chicken breasts (there are 2 people in my household), I bake 3 breasts. Have 2 breasts for the first meal then use the third breast for the next day to make chicken stew, chicken a la king, chicken spaghetti or other chicken casserole or a big tossed salad with cold chicken on top.

About once a week go through the refrigerator for bits and pieces of left over veggies, rice, pasta, or meat. Add meat to boiling water to make broth, or if no leftover meat then use a can of beef or chicken broth. Add other leftovers that appeal to you. A can of dice tomatoes and some beans from your pantry if the veggies are limited. Season to your taste. A great soup, and almost free.

butterflygarden responded:
I love to use leftover spaghetti sauce or chili to make yummy nachos.

Just heat the leftover sauce, put out a plate of tortilla chips, pour the heated sauce over the chips, sprinkle with your favorite shredded cheese and other nacho favorites and serve.

My family LOVES this!

Butterfly

SoCalSuz responded:
Like mbartos, I always use chicken cooked chicken for two or three meals. We like to buy the hot roasted chicken from the local supermarket and will have that with a steamed veggie and fruit. The next night I'll use it to make chicken enchiladas in the crock pot.

Butterfly, chili nachos sound great! I'll have to try that once the weather here cools down. I'm in Southern Califronia and it's supposed to be in the upper 90s here tomorrow

Suz

monamia responded:
I do something similar as Mbartos with chicken except I use the leftovers for wraps because I LUV wraps!

butterflygarden responded:
Leftover pork also makes really good BBQ. I just put it in the crock pot on low and add a tiny bit of water to it. Let the pork cook until it starts to break apart, remove any excess liquid, add BBQ sauce to it, and you've got a pulled pork type BBQ that you can just toss on a bun and have for lunch or dinner.

Butterfly

SweetSusieB replied to butterflygarden's response:
I use leftover chicken the most I think.
Between sandwiches the next day, chicken salad. Chicken wraps. Quesadillas, salads. You name it, I can use chicken left overs no matter how I've prepare it the day before.

Chicken chicken and more chicken.

EleanorAnne responded:
My husband is the Leftover Creative King.

He will take the leftover chicken, boneless pork loin, veggies, sometimes fruit and makes a pasta dish.

I usually have a jar of roasted red peppers and artichokes in the pantry, he saute's all together and concocts a great meal.

It can be broth based with Parmesan or Asiago cheese, Balsamic vinegar based or pesto based.

I secretly like running late just to call ahead and ask him to throw something together.

Ellie

poorpacky responded:
How about adding assorted left overs to an omelet?

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to poorpacky's response:
Good idea, eggs go with everything! Love it!
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
65 of 82 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.