Skip to content

Announcements

Recipe Swap: Spooky Snacks
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
What snacks would you serve at a spooky Halloween party or Fall festival?
Share your ideas and recipes!
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

erice_ma responded:
Eyeballs: Baked Meringue spheres with Chocolate chips for pupils.

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Oh and let me add, that every year, with my daughters first grade class, she's a teacher, I go in and we make these adorable, silly spooky popcorn hands.

So easy. We take a clear plastic disposable glove and fill it with popcorn. Then I tie it at the end with orange and black ribbon. Then clip a plastic ring on the ring figer, either a spider or bat or anything cute or spooky I can find that makes for a great ring! That's it! the kids take it home and eat it.
I'll need to get a picture and share it with you all this year. Soon actually!
Chrissy~

Virginia Woolf

rohvannyn replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
I like the popcorn hands!

When I was a kid we used to make haystacks with marshmallow and chow mein noodles. I seem to remember a spider variation of that.

Roasted pumpkin seeds are a great favorite, especially since you can flavor them in so many ways. Spicy pumpkin seeds, sweet pumkin seeds, terikaki, lime flavored, even wasabi seeds could be good. Hm, I may need to make some of the wasabi kind, since I invented them while I was writing this.

They are pretty easy to make. Put the flavoring of whatever kind in a bowl with freshly scooped out pumpkin seeds, keeping as much of the pulp out as you can, and let the pumpkin juice make the flavorings stick to the seeds. Then bake in a warm oven until they are dry but not too dark.

They are good for you, too. Baked apples are also nice, you can do them in an oven or a microwave, and you could use pumpkin pie spice instead of the traditional cinnamon for a little variation.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to erice_ma's response:
Love it Eric! Too cute!
Chrissy~

Virginia Woolf

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thank you Roh, I have never thought of half those flavorings for seeds, what great ideas!

Yes the hands are fun and so easy to do!
Chrissy~

Virginia Woolf

butterflygarden replied to erice_ma's response:
Love this idea, Eric!

My son wants to have a Halloween party this year for his teen friends, and I am going to need some spooky treats.

I bought a cookie pan at Target the other day and the shapes were fingers! I am going to give those a try.

This idea is not a snack, but last year I made punch. I had bought a mold that looks like a brain and I froze pink koolaid in it, then made lemonade punch, added dry ice, and floated the brain in there. It was yummy and creepy!

Butterfly

EleanorAnne responded:
For my daughter's 2nd grade class party we are making Hot Dog Mummys and Ghost Pops -

Cut strips out of refrigerated crescent roll dough. Wrap hot dog with strip, leaving some hot dog showing. Wrap a piece around "head". Bake according to package or a little less if needed. Make eyes with dots of ketchup or mustard.

Ghost Pops - Melt white chocolate and "blob" in ghost shape on half of pretzel rod. Use candy or colored sugar to decorate.

Ellie

Olivia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Here are a couple of recipes I found on our site that I think you all might like as well. You can find more at Ghoulishly Healthy Halloween Snacks :

Pumpkin Cracker Snacks

Journal as: 1/2 serving low-fat crackers and 1/2 serving cheese.
10 reduced-fat wheat crackers (reduced-fat Triscuits can also be used)
10 thin slices of reduced-fat cheddar cheese
5 or more slices of light salami or sliced deli turkey
10 slices of black olives (if desired)

• Set out 10 wheat crackers on serving plate.
  • Carve out 10 pumpkins from the slices of cheddar cheese using an open 2-inch pumpkin cookie cutter. Set a pumpkin on each cracker.
  • Carve a half slice of salami into two eyes, a nose and a mouth and place on the cheese pumpkin. You can use a black olive slice for the mouth if desired.
  • Serve and ENJOY!
Makes 5 servings (2 crackers each)
Per serving: 96 calories, 8 g protein, 6 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 1 g fiber, 250 mg sodium.

Monster Fingers and Green Goblin Goo

Journal as: 1 serving "vegetables with 1 teaspoon fat."
1 cup baby carrots
About 10 pitted black olives (cut in half lengthwise)
1/4 cup light cream cheese
1 cup celery sticks (and/or 1 cup lightly micro-cooked and chilled asparagus spears if desired)
1/4 cup almond slices
3 drops green food coloring
1 cup jicama sticks
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup bottled light ranch dressing (i.e. Light Done Right)
5 drops (add more if desired) green food coloring

• Glue a black olive half onto each baby carrot using cream cheese as the glue. Arrange on serving plate.
  • Add almond slices to a small zip-top bag and sprinkle 3 drops of green food coloring over the top, seal well, and shake like crazy to color the almond slices green. Glue a green almond slice onto each celery stick or asparagus spear using cream cheese as the glue. Arrange on serving plate with the carrot fingers.
  • Glue a large dried cranberry onto each jicama stick using cream cheese as the glue. You can add red spots on the jicama stick with red food coloring if desired. Arrange them on the serving plate with the rest of the monster fingers
  • Add the ranch dressing to a dip bowl. Stir in 5 drops of green food coloring--mix by hand until well blended. Serve it with the monster fingers!
Makes 6 servings
Per serving: 95 calories, 3 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fat, 3 g fiber, 216 mg sodium.

butterflygarden responded:
Mummy Cracker Snacks

Triscuit Wafers
Strips of lowfat White American, Provolone or Mozzerella Cheese
Capers
Jarred spaghetti or pizza sauce

Coat each cracker with a think layer of sauce, place cheese strips in the shape of mummy wrap, add capers for eyes. Serve.

They are cute and healthy, too!

Butterfly

LauraJeanC replied to butterflygarden's response:
Hi Butterfly, Sounds like a fun punch, however, dry ice is
poisonous!! I am surprised no one got sick from it.

rohvannyn replied to LauraJeanC's response:
Dry ice is just frozen carbon dioxide. How could it be poisonous?
Roh

totallywiggedout replied to rohvannyn's response:
Food grade dry ice is strongly suggested for anything used IN your food, rather than just to keep it frozen.
ALSO, HERE'S the BIGGEE.... PLEASE NOTE
that although dry ice is not poisonous, it IS very dangerous to swallow even small , TINY amounts because if it comes into contact with any part of your mouth, esophogus or stomach you could get severe "burns" or even put holes into your digestive tract which could lead to death.
There are sites to address how to use, and to properly serve beverages that you wish to have that "smokey" effect.. Please get informed before you use it for consumeables.

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
See, that makes sense, and it aligns with what I thought was true. I imagine non food grade dry ice might be less pure or something like that. Agreed about the need for caution regarding potential burns.
Roh

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.