Recipe Swap: Yummy Pies!
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
From pumpkin to apple, what's your favorite pie recipe?
I make a great "mile high" apple pie. What's your favorite to eat and make? Is there any one pie you make for just the holidays ?
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

rohvannyn responded:
Pecan pie is good, cherry pie, pumpkin pie is good too. My mom makes the best pie crusts, her secret is to use lard or at least shortening, no oil. Meat pie is my very favorite, with cream of mushroom soup, beef or chicken, peas, green beans, potatoes, carrots. That's one of the things I miss the most. I make very good cheesecake, which I think of as more of a pie than a cake. I'm working on a low sugar version which I'll post if it works.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

An_247623 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Hope you are successful with the sugar free cheesecake.i would like to know. Shepard's Pie is a favorite with me. Like your meat pie, it contains all those ingredients topped with mashed potatoes.

rohvannyn replied to An_247623's response:
Hm- maybe I'll make a meat pie sometime with a mashed potato crust. But I like the crispiness of regular dough too much, maybe I'll just take the hit sometime. I haven't made the cheesecake yet but I imagine the baking stevia would work if nothing else. My idea is to use almond flour for the crust, and baking stevia to mix in with the egg and cream cheese, etc. I won't make a low sugar and low fat version because that would just be nasty. I'm trying to go for zero grain, low sugar.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Claire3450 replied to rohvannyn's response:
I agree about not trying to make low sugar AND low fat cheesecake. If you are going to take the effort to make one, it might as well taste delicious. Just eat a smaller slice.

butterflygarden responded:
I like pies and cakes, but I don't eat them very often during the rest of the year. So, when I indulge I go all out: Pecan!

I also recently found a pumpkin pecan chocolate pie recipe that I'm dying to try. I'll see if I can find the recipe to share.

I don't try to make it light and I make my own homemade crust with LOTS of butter. The trick is to remember that holiday foods are once a year, and are meant to be a treat.

Butterflly