Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

What's in your fridge?
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
What's in your refrigerator can say a lot about your diet and nutrition choices. And, it may not be as bad as you think.

Check out this video .

And, then tell us...what's in your fridge right now?

What will you take out of there and not replace?

Want to know what are the WORST Foods in Your Fridge ?

Share a photo if you can!

Take care,
Olivia

rohvannyn responded:
Fun topic!

The biggest thing I have to take out is old leftovers, like an old jar of nopalitos and some curry paste and some seriously dried out vegetables, and some old homemade pickles. Occasionally old fruit in the bottom, and don't forget to eat my cactus fruit... ha ha.

Other fridge denizens of the edible variety are more and more and more broccoli, lots and lots of chicken, garlic, some Xing Tea, eggs, cactus fruit, guavas, mushrooms, hot peppers of varying kinds, baby carrots, ends of a salad bag, yogurt, a couple kinds of cheese.

WILL get rid of that vanilla yogurt and go back to cascade fresh natural, the store brand has high fructose corn syrup in it!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

butterflygarden responded:
The biggest problem I have in my fridge is all the pickles, jams, jellies, and condiments that might be used more rarely and get pushed to the back.

One thing I have done recently is stopped trying to shop for an entire week at a time. I find that I don't have room in my fridge, and things tend to go bad because they get lost in the fridge jungle. Ugh.

Here's what my fridge looks like right this minute. Please try to ignore the boxed cheesecake.

Butterfly

SweetSusieB replied to butterflygarden's response:
Are there other things in that picture besides cheesecake? I hadn't noticed.

My poor fridge....full of leftovers! Why do I put all these things in plastic containers and pretend like I just might serve it again?

It ain't pretty either when weeks go by and I forget that they are there. They then become a science experiment!

timvasi responded:
Mustard, Ketchup, BBQ sauce, various flavors of salad dressing, cocktail sauce, mayonnaise, pancake syrup, chocolate syrup, cheese(slices, Brick, grated parm, and shredded mozzarella) Eggs, Ham, Bacon(Canadian and strip), sheds crock, butter, garlic, sweet and dill pickles, cream cheese, spaghetti sauce, cold cuts, hot dogs.

lettuce, tomato, peppers, cucumbers, onions, celery, carrots.

Vodka, Cranberry juice, red grapefruit juice, orange juice, ginger ale, beer, lime juice, pineapple juice, Ice coffee, milk, half & half, Champagne

Leftovers: BBQ Pork Chop, Chicken wings, rice pilaf

various amounts of chocolate which I always like chilled better.

I live 5 minutes from several supermarkets so usually the items in my fridge are pretty consistent (condiments and meal support items) My main meal items generally is in and out the same day unless I am marinating something or thawing a frozen turkey which I did last week.

EleanorAnne responded:
Yesterday was trash day and my very organized husband goes through each week and cleans out most leftovers.

Looking at the top shelf I see the need to clean out expired and yucky looking dressings (the BOGO just go to waste), olives, pickles and roasted red peppers.

Like Butterfly I shop throughout the week and don't do big trips.

Looking at the video I think we are on the healthier side of products. I don't care for the taste of some of the fat free things like cheese, sourcream and yogurts, so we buy low or 2%.

Ellie

SoCalSuz responded:
This is the day of the week when my fridge is the most chaotic! (photo below). Three days of making lunches for the kids, after school snacks and dinners means Wednesday is a market/toss out stuff/organize the fridge day.

I'll toss out the leftovers (in the tupperwear), fruit and veggies going bad and any expired dairy products.

My biggest fridge challenge is that we have a very small, no frills fridge. I'd love to update but it's not on the list of "big purchases" this year

Thanks for this topic! You helped me remember that it's time to shop and organize!

Suz

monamia responded:
Well, I think I'm glad I'm answering this question after the parties that happened last week. It looks back to normal and healthier again.

Jugs of water, iced tea (for when my sons visit), beer (for when my older son visits), apples, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, various salad dressings, diet coke, a bit of cheese, scones, various condiments, pickles, organic juice for when my grandkids visit. One thing I need to throw out is some old sugar free chocolate pudding (it really wasn't good and I just need to get rid of it because I know I'm not going to eat it). No milk nor eggs due to allergies.

Freezer: chicken, popsickles (for grandkids), rye bread, more scones. I tend to clean out the freezer more regularly and only buy what I need in the short term.

butterflygarden replied to SoCalSuz's response:
Suz,

Your fridge is much cleaner looking than mine. Jealous! LOL

Butterfly

Helpful Tips

Gardening
Growing your own vegetables can be a great way to not only incorporate more fresh food into your diet but also get some exercise. Gardening ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.