Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Recipe Swap:Weather have you stuck inside? What are you cooking?
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
I live on the East Coast and we are getting threatened with hurricane Sandy today and tomorrow. It's been quite a weekend of preparation, and of course for me, my thoughts go right to food!

I make my chicken soup every time it snows! Tonight is stew for sure.

What do you cook during a time when you are potentially stuck inside?
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

rohvannyn responded:
Hot soups or stews for me! Always comforting and nice. We just made a good one, a beanless chili, that was great for cooler weather and awesome as leftovers.

It's an approximation but this is basically what we did- took boneless skinless chicken breast and boiled it in several cans of diced tomato with sliced fresh jalapeno peppers. That was the base. Then we were low on meat so we added some ground chicken too. For spices we used (as near as I can recall) some cayenne, a little cumin, just a touch of cinnamon, a dab of ground black tea, a little crushed up hibiscus, some garlic, diced onions, salt, and chicken tomato boullion powder. Oh, and some Asian chili garlic paste.

It came out with a nice full complex flavor and not too hot... for us. All this could have been adjusted to taste, of course. It cooked down nicely and was very warming, and filling. If you eat beans in your chili, black beans would have been a great addition.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to rohvannyn's response:
Hi Roh,

This sounds wonderful, I've never given beanless chili a thought! Great idea. I've just got back to the internet today because of the hurricane and we did eat stew, and last night I marinated a London broil all day.

With all the family home all the time, they are eating me out of house and home! Our power is back on which is a wonderful thing. Last night I grilled outside.
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

butterflygarden responded:
Chili!

It really warms me up when it's cold outside.

Here's my recipe:

1 lb lean ground beef, browned.
Add I small chopped onion
Chopped hot peppers to taste
I package store brand chili mix
I 14 oz can black beans
I 29 oz can diced tomatoes
1 20 oz can tomato sauce

Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 30 minutes, stirring frequently.

Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, dollop of sour cream and some chopped green onions.

Butterfly

Helpful Tips

Gardening
Growing your own vegetables can be a great way to not only incorporate more fresh food into your diet but also get some exercise. Gardening ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.